Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.0.6005.562 (RU6a) client installation issues on Win 2000 Server

Posted Oct 21, 2011 03:39 AM

Hi to all,

I am stuck with very annoying SEP problem with one of our customers.
    When we deploy SEP on their Win 2000 server machines, SEP installs and then it seems like it doesn't start properly. I can't see SEP icon after installation but I can see that all SEP services are running normally. If I then try and start SEP manually from start menu by clicking on SEP icon after 5-10 min SEP icon appears with red circle on it and warning that all SEP components are not functioning properly.
    Restarting PC,restarting service doesn't help at all,removing SEP with Clean Wipe and reinstalling SEP or installing LU first and then SEP also gives exact same results.
    Further to this after SEP installation Citrix neighbourhood client starts giving problems where you can't open anything through Citrix (Word,etc.) and Citrix gives error that "document is not attached to system" if you try and open any document or Citrix app - like SEP is blocking it.
    Only remedy for things to get back to normal is disabling all SEP services or removing SEP from machine.
    I now have this exact same problem on +- 10 Windows 2000 Servers all from same customer.
    Servers are running SP4 and IE6 as per minimum requirements.I also went through all knowledge base articles but found nothing helpful.

Does anyone have any idea or suggestion how to fix it?

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0.6005.562 (RU6a) client installation issues on Win 2000 Server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2011 12:45 PM

Hi,

I hope you are using best practice guide when using SEP with Citrix.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH91070

After SEP installation where you are getting red circle,Try running intelligent updater to update definitions and check.

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=savce

If your SEP client is managed client make sure SEP client is receiving correct SEPM policy.

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0.6005.562 (RU6a) client installation issues on Win 2000 Server

Posted Oct 22, 2011 03:55 AM

Hi Chetan,

Thanks for reply.
    I did used guidelines from best practices document when I was installing SEP client onto designated Citrix servers and it was fine.
    2000 Servers where I got installation issues are running Citrix neighbourhood client not Citrix server. Not sure if this will apply to them?
    Also something interesting happened today - From 40 Win 2000 server we have to install +- 10 gave us exact same issues as I already mentioned but 5 did  normally installed and both SEP and Citrix are working normally. Not sure where is the catch?
    Win2000 Servers are exactly the same - same configurations, all running Citrix neighbourhood clients.

I don't think that SEP intelligent updater will work as when SEP installation issue happens it seems like SEP is freezing whole system - Citrix client reports errors, task manager doesn't open, add/remove programs also doesn't open, etc - only way to get system back to normal is disabling SEP services and uninstalling SEP.
    Yes SEP client is managed and installation file has latest policy and latest definitions so in theory it shouldn't give us red circle at all after install.
    I assume that red circle is there due to SEP client not working properly.