Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.6200 push

Posted Apr 18, 2011 11:36 AM

I am in the middle of updating some old clients of sep 11.4200 to the newer ver 11.6200.

The problem is the clients that are still out there on the old 11.4200 have a password asigned to remove the old client.   Is there a way to push out from the new sep server to bypass or something so I don't have to manually hit every one to uninstall the old client?

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.6200 push

Posted Apr 18, 2011 11:51 AM

two ways, one u can disable the password from sepm console or u can remove SEP following this document

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-uninstall-symantec-endpoint-client-if-uninstall-password-place

2.use the autoupgrade feature

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO17911

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.6200 push

Posted Apr 18, 2011 11:59 AM

I have about 160 pc's out of 1000 left to do.  I would hate to touch them all so it sounds like the outupgrade would work the best but not sure how that gets around the password issues.  I know what the password is I just not sure whrere to put it to allow for it to uninstall.

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.6200 push

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2011 12:29 PM

Hi,

Steps suggested by Rafeeq are quite easy if you are facing any challenge while performing those steps then 

one more option you have.

Use Symantec Competitive uninstaller utility. It will uninstall SEP 11.0.4 & will install SEP 11.0.6 MP2 again. 

By this steps you may not have to follow upgrade path. Because it would be complete fresh install.

You will find this utility under tools folder when you download software from File connect or in CD's.

Note : Do no run this utility on machine where SEPM is installed, because it will uninstall SEPM also (If you changed settings).

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.6200 push

Posted Apr 18, 2011 12:49 PM

Not to be a pain but I DON'T want to go around to every machine to do this.  If i wanted to hit every pc I wouldn't be here on this forum trying to figure out how to hit them from one location.

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.6200 push

Posted Apr 18, 2011 12:58 PM

do the autoupgrade it does not require any disabling password.

try to assing a package for a test group and check if that works. then continue with rest.

• 7.  RE: SEP 11.6200 push

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2011 01:27 PM

Hi,

To run this utility you will not have to go around every machine.

Once you created package you can deploy through migration and deployment wizard.

• 8.  RE: SEP 11.6200 push

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 19, 2011 08:19 AM

Hello,

Autoupgrade would work best for you.

The AutoUpgrade process lets you automatically upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection client software for all the clients that are contained in a group.

For example, you can use AutoUpgrade to upgrade clients from the MR2 release to the MR3 release.

You can also add a client installation package by using the client installation files from the product disc. You must test the AutoUpgrade process before you attempt to upgrade a large number of clients in your production network.

If you do not have a test network, you can create a test group. You can add a few non-critical clients to the test group and upgrade them by using AutoUpgrade. You can confirm the upgrade completed successfully by verifying the version number of the client software that appears in the About dialog box.

Check these Symantec Knowledgebase Articles on AutoUpgrade:

Upgrading clients by using AutoUpgrade

How to temporarily stop AutoUpgrade from continuing