Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.x > 12.1 Upgrade - Clean vs Upgrade

Posted Nov 27, 2012 05:50 AM

Hi all,

After some real life experience here please if possible?

Read best practice is to uninstall previous versions of SEP before install 12.x.  We ARE doing this for our GUP's, but looking at using the single exe to deploy to the thousands of desktops we have to let the installer do an upgrade (well, removal and install it does).

Are there any problems with this approach?  Any issues?

I am trying to avoid double-reboot and window of risk if something breaks, the client could have no AV.  also deploying vvia SCCM, so doublereboot is not preferred.

Thanks all.

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.x > 12.1 Upgrade - Clean vs Upgrade

Posted Nov 27, 2012 05:56 AM

Hi,

Why you are uninstall old sep verison ?

You can use autoupgrade feature.

Upgrade clients to SEP 12.1 using Auto upgrade feature

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/upgrade-clients-sep-121-using-auto-upgrade-feature

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/upgrade-clients-sep-121-auto-upgrade-feature

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.x > 12.1 Upgrade - Clean vs Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2012 06:03 AM

Hi,

If I have understood correctly then you are following upgrade process.

In upgrade process it's not needed to uninstall existing install SEP if it's supported upgrade path.

You can use SCCM or SEPM auto upgrade process as well.

Choose best option which suits to your business need.

Can check this article if following auto upgrade process:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/upgrade-clients-sep-121-auto-upgrade-feature

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.x > 12.1 Upgrade - Clean vs Upgrade

Posted Nov 27, 2012 06:08 AM
    Hi, for small environment maybe, but no way in our environment, would we want to deploy to all from a central SEPM server!! Thanks for the article, but that won't happen in an Enterprise. We use SCCM and secondary sites and BDP's to help network bandwidth - especially as the package is 240MB and also can report, retry and all the fancy stuff SCCM gives. Would you use an msiexec uninstall syntax or deploy cleanwipe as a pre-task or simply push the new 12.x exe and let it handle it all? Hope you understand?? thanks Chetan - reading article now - question is: If I deploy 12.1 to a machine that has 11.x - will the single exe installer remove/upgrade OK in the normal way or does it HAVE to be clean install?

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.x > 12.1 Upgrade - Clean vs Upgrade

Posted Nov 27, 2012 06:27 AM
    Sorry guys - cannot see any large company wanting to upgrade the clients from the SEPM server directly unless they have some good QOS in place, only a small amount of clients or obviously if they had no software deployment infrastructure in place. Over 10,000 here and different network speeds, so this potentially could kill some of our branch offices. Sounds like a nice, extra feature in SEPM, but should be a fall back/backup options for those without other means. Defiantly going the SCCM route as is the supported method for app deployments here, but my original questions remains: - Can the 12.x exe run on a machine with 11.x - For clean machine (going to test) - should I deploy cleanwipe or use msiexe to do uninstall/reboot? Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.x > 12.1 Upgrade - Clean vs Upgrade

Posted Nov 27, 2012 06:30 AM

Can the package will distributed via GUPs?

i think not, but has this changed in 12.1.2?

• 7.  RE: SEP 11.x > 12.1 Upgrade - Clean vs Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2012 07:08 AM

Hi,

Q. If I deploy 12.1 to a machine that has 11.x - will the single exe installer remove/upgrade OK in the normal way or does it HAVE to be clean install?

--> Upgrade should work perfectly from 11.x to SEP 12.1. No need of clean install.

Supported upgrade paths for the Symantec Endpoint Protection client

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81070

• 8.  RE: SEP 11.x > 12.1 Upgrade - Clean vs Upgrade
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2012 07:11 AM

Hi,

Q. Can the 12.x exe run on a machine with 11.x

--> Yes, it's supported upgrade path. Only reboot is mandatory to complete the upgrade process

Q. For clean machine (going to test) - should I deploy cleanwipe or use msiexe to do uninstall/reboot?

--> I will suggest use msiexec to do upgrade/reboot.

• 9.  RE: SEP 11.x > 12.1 Upgrade - Clean vs Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2012 07:12 AM

No, it's not possible to distribute packages via GUP's.

• 10.  RE: SEP 11.x > 12.1 Upgrade - Clean vs Upgrade

Posted Nov 27, 2012 10:17 AM
    Thank You Chetan, I will test upgrade path and uninstall via msiexec.