Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12 blocks Visual Studio 2010 64 bit App profiling

Posted Feb 14, 2013 11:59 AM

SEP version 12.1.1000.157 RU1.

SEP blocks Visual Studio 2010 64 bit Application Sample profiling. If SEP is uninstalled the profiler works fine. The registry workaround doesn't work in Windows 7.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12 blocks Visual Studio 2010 64 bit App profiling

Posted Feb 14, 2013 12:03 PM

if you look in the logs, what component is doing the blocking? AV, NTP, PTP?

• 3.  RE: SEP 12 blocks Visual Studio 2010 64 bit App profiling

Posted Feb 14, 2013 02:16 PM

Can you try out disabling one SEP component at a time to find out where the blocks comes from? Do you have any error displayed that SEP blocked the application?

• 4.  RE: SEP 12 blocks Visual Studio 2010 64 bit App profiling

Posted Feb 14, 2013 10:55 PM

>if you look in the logs, what component is doing the blocking? AV, NTP, PTP?

Symantec logs doesn't say anything. Can you say me the path of the log file?

>Can you try out disabling one SEP component at a time to find out where the blocks comes from? Do you have any error displayed that SEP blocked the application?

No use in disabling one component at a time. I suspect it is sysfer.dll that is causing the issue. No matter what all the components I disable that dll sticks to my application always. It goes away only when I uninstall Symantec.

Below is the exact message. Same as shown in a related post on this forum.

Error VSP1336: Could not attach to process ID:7196 my64bit.exe. Functionality needed by the profiler has been intercepted by another application. This is frequently caused by security software installed on the box. Profiling cannot proceed.

I get the same message when I invoke from UI.

• 5.  RE: SEP 12 blocks Visual Studio 2010 64 bit App profiling

Posted Feb 14, 2013 11:07 PM

For the testing you can add the same folde in exception of scanning, is it possible?

• 6.  RE: SEP 12 blocks Visual Studio 2010 64 bit App profiling

Posted Feb 14, 2013 11:44 PM

>For the testing you can add the same folde in exception of scanning, is it possible?

No effect. I have tried adding exception like, complete path to my exe, *.exe, *.dll, everything..

• 7.  RE: SEP 12 blocks Visual Studio 2010 64 bit App profiling

Posted Feb 15, 2013 02:07 AM

Ok if you suspect sysfer is the issue - have you tried removing Application and Control Device from the installed SEP package - or is this component used in your environment?

Did you put the exceptions in place as per following KB:

About creating exceptions in ADC: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55212

...but i believe if the sysfer is already injected in the executable setting exception now exception may not work entirely. You can try following - set the exception, apply policy to client, reinstall your application - with this new installation sysfer would not be injected in the executable as the exception would be already in place.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12 blocks Visual Studio 2010 64 bit App profiling

Posted Feb 15, 2013 03:01 AM

>The registry workaround doesn't work in Windows 7.

I think I was wrong. The registry workaround works. But I have to start in Safe mode to do the registry change.

Thanks everyone.