Video Screencast Help

SEP 12 Clients keep showing up & dissapearing from the SEPM console

Created: 14 Mar 2013 • Updated: 14 Mar 2013 | 5 comments

Hello ,

I have a problem with a whole list of clients (all servers , did not check workstations , all having SEP 12 installed) that are not showing up in my SEPM 12 console (searched by username, hostname, OS , IP ...) . I checked the AV locally , on the clients and it showed up as managed , connected to the (right) SEPM , even indicating the folder it belongs to in the console (under troubleshooting) . As soon as I hit the "connect now" button , the last communication date gets updated and the server shows up in the console , with my username associated . All good so far ... glad that the problem was solved ...i went ahead and did the exact same thing on the next client ... the client turned up in SEPM , in the folder it was supposed to ....but at the same time i noticed that the first client i did that on was gone .... went back to it , repeated the action , only to see that the other client was gone ...

So only the last server i perform this action on remains in the console ... thought the problem might be that their are all in user mode ...but when i right click them i get the option to "switch them to user mode" so that means they're already in computer mode ...

Don't know if i provided enough details ... but i really need help with this .

any hint / idea is most appreciated


Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

ᗺrian's picture

Can you enable sylink logging on one machine and go thru same procedure you did to get them reporting in. Than post log here

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

consoleadmin's picture

Hello from client side these are reflecting online status?

Troubleshooting Client Communication with SEPM
Article:TECH95789  |  Created: 2009-01-26  |  Updated: 2012-01-03  |  Article URL
How to change the sylink.xml file in Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 12.1
Article:TECH157585  |  Created: 2011-04-07  |  Updated: 2012-06-07  |  Article URL


SameerU's picture


Please perform the following steps

  1. Stop SMC on both of the affected client computers by clicking Start Run, type smc -stop then click OK.
  2. On the SEPM console, delete the client entry that the two computers have been sharing. This will prevent the client duplication that would otherwise occur due to the following steps.
  3. On each of the affected computers, go to registry location: 
    • HKLM\Software\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\Sylink\Sylink
  4. Clear the value for "Hardware ID." (make it blank)
  5. Disable Tamper Protection if you are unable to edit the value.
  6. On each of the affected computers, navigate to the following directory location:
    • SEP 11 Location:  
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\HWID
    • SEP 12.1 Location: 
      • Windows XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Persisted Data
      • Windows Vista/7/2008: C:\Program Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Persisted Data
  7. Find file "sephwid.xml". Rename it to "sephwid.xml.bak".
  8. Start SMC on each computer by clicking Start Run, type smc -start then click OK.
  9. Check the SEPM console for the new SEP client 
    • When the clients check in they should have unique hardware IDs.


Ambesh_444's picture


Please refer..

Thank& Regards,


"Your satisfaction is very important to us. If you find above information helpful or it has resolved your issue. Please don't forget to mark the thread as solved."