Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 and SEE 8.2 blue screen

Posted Sep 01, 2011 09:13 AM

In planning my SEP 12.1 upgrade from SEP 11 I noticed an article about the Symantec Encryption needing to be at 8.2 before installing SEP 12.1 on the device if encrypted.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH166696&key=55414&actp=LIST

Can anyone comment on what causes the blue screen and if my clients get it how to resolve?  Maybe it is only on specific hardware.

I have 2200 clients and 20 percent are laptops with Symantec Encryption 7.0.8.  It takes months to get them all back on the network to upgrade them to 8.2 and if I push the new SEP 12.1 out before they update the SEE to 8.2 -  will it really break them.

It is also unfortunate that SEP 12.1 requires the new SEE 8.2 as I have a few offsite Server 2008 R2 SP1 file servers encrypted with 7.0.8 for protection of the data.  Up to SEE 7.0.8 the product installed on Server 2008 R2 SP1 fine and works great however 8.2 will not install as it says the OS is not supported.  Hence I would not be able to install SEP 12.1 at all on them without the possibility of blue screening.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 and SEE 8.2 blue screen
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 02, 2011 12:26 PM

Hello,

I understand.

Well.. It seems you are in a Tight Situation.

I personally would say stay with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.7000 till the time you are comfortable to either move across a Different OS OR

SEP 12.1 (newer releases) starts supporting older version of SEE (which I doubt would happen).

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 and SEE 8.2 blue screen

Posted Sep 02, 2011 02:02 PM

Symantec has recommended that I decrypt the SEE install on the 2008 servers and install their PGP version.  Of course this would mean another product to support on the enterprise.  I hope they update the SEE first to support it.  We run an Enterprise, with Enterprise servers and SEE is supposed to be an Enterprise product.   How PGP became the fix I do not know.

Going back to the blue screen which is my big concern for my users.  Can anyone provide more details on what it is which causes it or how to correct if it does? 

Thanks,