Video Screencast Help

SEP 12.1 and Windows 8.1 "Blue"

Created: 27 Jun 2013 • Updated: 13 Nov 2013 | 128 comments
Paul Murgatroyd's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know this.  As you are no doubt aware, Microsoft just released their preview of the Windows 8.1 "Blue" product.

Currently, SEP 12.1 RU3 and below are not compatible with this release - there are a number of bugs which we are working to iron out.

Please do not install 12.1 on Windows 8.1 Blue for the moment.  We are working to support this release with SEP 12.1 RU4, due later this year and will have a beta release available soon, which will work and fix the bugs we are currently seeing.

many thanks

Operating Systems:

Comments 128 CommentsJump to latest comment

_Brian's picture

Follow the advice of rond79 above

jtellez's picture

Thanks for all your comments I can  install the 12.1.2 version on my computer with Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Thanks to all !!!!!

Is now working perfectly

_Brian's picture

Great. Glad to know the steps by rond79 are successful.

For all those of you following the workaround, you are free to do so, but please note that if you call support, then this is an unsupported scenario.  The support engineer will be unable to assist you.

As far as Windows 8.1 support goes, its actually not been that easy - a number of key components have required rewriting and changes to support the updated OS.  12.1.2 might look like its working, but there is a very good chance there are issues under the hood which may not be shown up by normal operations.  I would advise you upgrade as soon as you can - even running the beta is better than running 12.1.2 on 8.1

As far as development goes, sadly this time around we got caught in the Microsoft/Apple loop - as I'm sure you are aware, Microsoft released Windows 8.1 RTM to developers much sooner than Apple released their GM of Mavericks - SEP 12.1.4 supports BOTH these platforms.  We took the decision not to release a Windows version closely followed by a Mac version and took a jump with Apples uncertain release dates.  The product is fundamentally ready for release, we are just finalising a few bits and fixing a couple of issues we found on our internal deployment to give the highest possible quality. 

We should be RTM'ing within the next couple of days and then the product will be Generally Available by early November.  I feel everyone's pain, as part of my own process, I upgrade my work laptop OS as soon as the DP is available (I ran Windows 8 pre-DP and 8.1 DP and then upgraded to RTM a couple of weeks ago) to make sure our SEP client works and determine any issues, etc. myself.

Thanks for your patience

Paul Murgatroyd
Principal Product Manager, Symantec Endpoint Protection
Endpoint twitter feed: http://twitter.com/symc_endpoint

rond79's picture

Hi Paul,

I completely agree with you. This is just workaround (temporary fix). I urge everyone who has applied the solution posted to update to SEP 12.1.4 when it becomes available. As an IT Manager, my number one priority is security. I have done extensive testing in past few days to see where SEP might fail. To this date, SEP has deleted, quarantined and block everything i've thrown at it.  The company owner wanted to roll out with windows 8.1 which i was completely against for and yes I did make my case to the owner but he wanted roll out. Very little I could do about.  The reason why SEP 12.1.2 and 12.1.3 is not being installed correctly is because of this Windows Update "KB2882351". This is a Compatibility Update. Here is the link so everyone could read about it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2882351.  If it was a Security Update, I would have not commented on a possible solution. Putting everyone security at stake is the last thing i want to do.  Personally, I do not need this update "KB2882351" in my workplace but as soon as 12.1.4 becomes available i will definitely be updating SEP.

determined61's picture

I would like to also like to get RU4 link if possible.

Thank You

_Brian's picture

Send a PM to Paul

michael.wright.1107's picture

I would like to get my hands on the Ru4 beta. Thanks.

_Brian's picture

Send a PM to Paul

michael.wright.1107's picture

I thought I did. What is PM and how do I make sure I am doing that?

_Brian's picture

Send a PM to Paul

Be Creative. Be IT's picture

To: Paul Murgatroyd

Currently, SEP 12.1 RU3 and below are not compatible with this release - there are a number of bugs which we are working to iron out.

Could you please list the bugs that are present in SEP 12.1 RU3 that are incompatible with Windows 8.1?

I am surprised that a big company such as Symantec is not transparent and forthcoming about the bugs that plague SEP 12.1 RU3. I know for a fact that Microsoft, Apple, Intel, McAfee, etc... always give details about the bugs that are present in their software.

Be Creative. Be IT's picture

Hi guys,

It seems to me that SEP 12.1 RU3 and prior versions are incompatible with Windows 8.1 if you perform an upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1

However, if you perform a clean installation of Windows 8.1 (full retail, not upgrade) and then install SEP 12.1 RU3, you will not encounter any incompatibility problems. That was what I did and I have no problems using SEP 12.1 RU3 on Windows 8.1 RTM (clean install).

MichaelD50's picture

You've been warned by a SEP Program Manager that it will take RU4 to be compatible with Windows 8.1.

Just because it installed without error does not mean it is compatible or is working properly.

Feel free to do whatever you think is best but YMMV.

MJD

Hi all,

It gives me great pleasure to let you know that SEP 12.1 RU4 has now RTM'd.

This release provides extended Mac protection, Mac OS 10.9 support, Microsoft Windows 8.1 support, and security improvements, by including the following new features:

• Support for Mac OS 10.9 “Mavericks”.

• Mac IPS protection – Network Intrusion Prevention System based on signatures where each payload in network packet is inspected and compared against a known network attack.  If the signatures match, the packet is not allowed to go further in the TCP/IP stack.

• Support for Microsoft Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2. 

• Additional Mac client features – New client UI, Update to LiveUpdate 6, Scheduled Scan options parity with Windows, and changes to Mac client packaging to support better distribution via third party deployment tools.

• Mac client support for 4 additional localized languages; Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Brazilian Portuguese.

• SEPM Manageability enhancements – Allowing immediate critical security event notification and additional telemetry.

• Fixes for customer reported defects.

The downloads will be avaialble on File connect by early November (should be sometime on the 4th, US Pacific time).  If you are desperate, I do have it on my Norton Zone and can provide a link to download the full ISO if needed.

Thank you to everyone who took part in the beta, your contributions are greatly appreciated!

Paul Murgatroyd

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Thank you for updating us with this wonderful news. smiley

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

andymease's picture

Thanks Paul this is the release we have been waiting for.  Do you know if they will post the release notes anytime earlier?

Clint's picture

Happened to check FileConnect just now and it appears 12.1.4 has been posted!  However, I tried directing the Java-based download manager to save to a network share but the GUI couldn't pull up my network resources for some reason (i.e. window remains empty).  Instead downloading to local folder and will copy to my file share later.  Just curious whether others have noticed this behavior with the download manager?

Clint

Steven Kintakas's picture

Paul,

Not sure if this is something the QA team would be looking at as part of their sanity testing, but the Docs that come with "Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.4_Part1_Installation_EN.exe", have the following filenames:

..\Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.4_Part1_Installation_EN\Documentation\

• Client_Guide_SEP12.1.2.pdf
  • End_User_License_Agreement_SEP.pdf
  • Getting_Started_SEP12.1.2.pdf
  • Installation_and_Administration_Guide_SEP12.1.2.pdf

Are these typos, or are they in fact old versions of the documents? The same occured with the release of RU3.
The "Installation_and_Administration_Guide_SEP12.1.2.pdf" makes no mention of added support for Mavericks, Windows 8.1, Server 2012 R2 etc, so it suggests it is in fact the RU2 documentation.

Suggest someone might need to look into this before too many people download it.

“When it comes to enterprise software…you need to work within the product’s ‘strengths’.”

SameerU's picture

Hi Paul

Can we have a link which gives the release notes and fixes in SEP 12.1.4

Regards

It looks like the release is available to some fileconnect accounts today and availability will continue as more product groupings are added.

The release notes should be published soon.

Paul Murgatroyd

norah10's picture

Downloading my copy right now :)

Any idea when the Cleanwipe utility will be updated ?

The latest version of Cleanwipe should be included in the Tools folder.

Paul Murgatroyd

Steven Kintakas's picture

It is indeed.

..\Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.4_Part2_Tools_EN\CleanWipe

“When it comes to enterprise software…you need to work within the product’s ‘strengths’.”

Brett_MCITP's picture

I can confirm that we now see it in our Connect portal. Got to give Symantec credit where credit is do. A week behind release isn't too bad.

Can we have the AV guys talk to the backup guys about keeping current :)

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

I agree. It is infact officially released.

Check this BLOG:

Latest Symantec Endpoint Protection Released - SEP 12.1.RU4

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/latest-symantec-endpoint-protection-released-sep-121ru4

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

Azhar Khan's picture

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.RU4 has been released on October 28' 2013.

You may find the latest release, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.RU4, here:

https://symantec.flexnetoperations.com/control/symc/registeranonymouslicensetoken

This build's version is: 12.1.4013.4013.

This release provides extended Mac protection, Mac OS 10.9 support, Microsoft Windows 8.1 support, and security improvements, by including the following new features:

·         Support for Mac OS 10.9 “Mavericks”.

·         Mac IPS protection – Network Intrusion Prevention System based on signatures where each payload in network packet is inspected and compared against a known network attack.  If the signatures match, the packet is not allowed to go further in the TCP/IP stack.

·         Support for Microsoft Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2. 

·         Additional Mac client features – New client UI, Update to LiveUpdate 6, Scheduled Scan options parity with Windows, and changes to Mac client packaging to support better distribution via third party deployment tools.

·         Mac client support for 4 additional localized languages; Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Brazilian Portuguese.

·         SEPM Manageability enhancements – Allowing immediate critical security event notification and additional telemetry.

·         Fixes for customer reported defects.

Check this BLOG:

Latest Symantec Endpoint Protection Released - SEP 12.1.RU4

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/latest-symantec-endpoint-protection-released-sep-121ru4

Car_Bed's picture

Will the formal release notes be posted soon, HTML doc with FIX ID's?

sandra.g's picture

Hi Car_Bed,

The Release Notes, which includes an overview of new features, documentation changes, system requirements and so on, can be found here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6838

The Fix Notes, which include the information you are looking for, can be found here: http://entced.symantec.com/sep/12.1.4/new_fixes

Hope this helps,

Sandra

Symantec, Information Developer
Installation, Migration, Deployment and Patching
User Protection & Productivity, Endpoint Protection

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'solved' with the answer that best help

kirk.chapman's picture

Hi there, pardon the query if this isn't the proper forum but we have our first Win8 Pro PC (actually was updated to Win8.1 right out of the box) on our domain and upon deploying our current SEP version to it (v12.1.3001.165) we are getting the following error (see attached image) from the SEPM.

• Does this have anything to do with incompatibility on the version we're using?
  • Or is it actually within the Win8.1 version being the issue?
  • Will the 12.4 release address this if so?

I see that 12.4 is released, we're hesitant though because the last time we updated to the very next released version it slowed network traffic down so bad, I almost lost my job (not really, but still!). So, again I'm hesitant! Any ideas!?

Also, a bit unrelated but back to the v12.1.3001.165....is there any way to schedule virus definitions to update one time a day at a specific time? This would be on a stand-alone client, unmanaged. I only see the settings for every xx hours, not an actual time of day. The reason for this is the PC can only update when our user ISN'T using particular medical software on the PC. If it does and they are in that program, it freezes/crashes the PC. The software maker has demanded we DO NOT let Symantec update definitions automatically, so we are forced to comply!

Thanks for any help...if I'm in the wrong arena here, please let me know where to post. Thanks again --Kirk

SEPM_console_issue.png

Cap'n Kirk - MT

kirk.chapman's picture

Anyone out there by chance for my queries?frown

Cap'n Kirk - MT

_Brian's picture

12.1.4 is the first version compatible for 8.1 so I would start there.

Yep, you can set it for Daily at a specific time of your choosing

kirk.chapman's picture

Thanks Brian for the reply, you are usually the one that is most helpful!

So, we're to the understanding that 12.1.4 is stable and playing nice with 8.1 and in general!?

Also, the ability to "schedule a time to update" is not currently under 12.1.3, so is this a new feature of 12.1.4? Please ignore the greyed out settings, this is from my Managed Client, not the Unmanaged Client I'm trying to schedule the updates on. Thanks a bunch --Kirk

symantec.png

Cap'n Kirk - MT

_Brian's picture

Is the first version to support 8.1. I haven't seen anything yet in the way of bugs so I can only assume...

You need to access  that and drop down and select Daily and a time option will also be available.

This looks to be managed by the SEPM? If not, was it managed by the SEPM at some point and than made unmanaged?

Clint's picture

In this very thread, BeIT had issues with SEP 12.1.3 on a system that was upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1 but no problem with a clean install of Win 8.1.  I had SEP 12.1.3 on a Win8 VM which I subsequently upgraded to 8.1 although since I didn't install the firewall, I don't recall having a problem.  Actually, I was having a separate issue with Win8 so I ended up blowing it away and installed 8.1 from scratch so, honestly, my memory of SEP 12.1.3 on my upgraded VM may be sketchy.

Clint

kirk.chapman's picture

So, now when we try to push this new version to ANY Win8.1 clients we get this error:

Error: "Login to [computer] failed. Check the username and password and try again."

I have gone to the following document per the link it gives you from Symantec: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH91715

None of the suggestions make a difference. I have set local passwords for Admin, UAC is disabled, I have checked sharing settings, ports aren't closed...anyone else battling this trying to deploy from SEPM to Win8 PCs!?!? Thanks --Kirk

Cap'n Kirk - MT