Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 Client Deployment Over 2 hours

Posted Aug 20, 2011 01:02 PM

SEP = Symantec Endpoint Protection

SEPM = Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.

I am using the trial version of SEP Small Business 12.1 in order to evaluate an upgrade.  When I use the Client Deployment Wizard to push SEP to 1 Windows client on the same local network as the server, the install takes well over an hour.  The wizard status bar was on 0% for over an hour last night, but when I came into the office this morning, the install had completed.  

Is this timeframe realistic for deployment over a local network?  My test setup is using fiber 100BASE-FX, so its not the fastest available, but should be plenty quick to copy and install package and run it in less than 10 minutes.

When I install SEP on the same server as I installed SEPM, the install is very quick and works perfectly with the remote deployment option.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 Client Deployment Over 2 hours
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 22, 2011 06:53 AM

Migration and deployment wizard will just copy the package from server to the target client.

the problem could be with Client machine firewall, UAC in case of vista

check these things.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102904

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 Client Deployment Over 2 hours

Posted Aug 22, 2011 01:47 PM

Thanks for the link.  I verified all the steps in that article, but it still is not working.

The computer is found, login is provided and the deployment starts.  The computer begins deployment and sits at 0%.

Anything else you can think of that should be reviewed?

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 Client Deployment Over 2 hours

Posted Aug 22, 2011 05:57 PM

NM, this issue is resolved.  Thank you for your help.

Turned out the network switch we were using is bad.  It allowed you to ping, make connections, etc but was very slow.  It would take 30min to transfer a 20MB file to the other computer.  Since the install package is 150-200MB, this took a while.

We switched the switch and everything is working perfectly.

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 Client Deployment Over 2 hours

Posted Aug 23, 2011 07:43 AM

Nice !! will definetly help others :)