Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 client - How to disable LiveUpdate programmatically

Posted Sep 14, 2011 12:03 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to perform an unattended client installation and need to disable LiveUpdate.

I know how to prevent LiveUpdate from running after the installation but I also need to have the whole feature disabled.

Can this be done via settings in SetAid.ini file?

Can this be done by a command in the command prompt?

Either way will work for me.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 client - How to disable LiveUpdate programmatically

Posted Sep 14, 2011 12:15 PM

We can do this by sending the pacakge with the latest defs. So once the clients has the latest defs it would not run the liveupdate to get new defs

Or from SETAID.ini

RUNLIVEUPDATE= (1 = run LiveUpdate after install, 0 = do not run LiveUpdate after install, default = 1 run LiveUpdate after install)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102668

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 client - How to disable LiveUpdate programmatically

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 client - How to disable LiveUpdate programmatically

Posted Sep 14, 2011 12:38 PM

Thanks Prachand for your response. I am aware of RUNLIVEUPDATE option but it does not disable LiveUpdate feature, it only supresses running LiveUpdate after installation is compete.

As for not running LiveUpdate with latest defs... My client will not have an access to the Internet. How does it work in this case?

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 client - How to disable LiveUpdate programmatically

Posted Sep 14, 2011 12:45 PM

Thanks for the pointer. I have already seen this article. However, it only describes "after install" options, it is still not clear to me how to disable LiveUpdate as a feature.

Basically, I need "Enable LiveUpdate" checkbox on the GUI be unchecked automatically after installation.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 client - How to disable LiveUpdate programmatically

Posted Sep 14, 2011 01:13 PM

thats inside the policy, when u export a package , it would ask u for a policy exported frm a group.

try this document

How to allow Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) users to run LiveUpdate manually

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech105653

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 client - How to disable LiveUpdate programmatically

Posted Sep 14, 2011 01:49 PM

I don't believe there is a way to fully disable or remove LiveUpdate (LiveUpdate Engine (LUE) for 12.1), as LiveUpdate is also used in the distribution of content from the SEPM.

You can uncheck the "Use a LiveUpdate Server" in the LiveUpdate policy applying to your clients. LiveUpdate will not run. Edit to add: I just unchecked this in the LiveUpdate policy and I can confirm that this automatically unchecks the "Enable automatic updates" box under Change Settings > Client Management Settings > LiveUpdate tab (if that's what you meant by the GUI box).

Even if this was left checked, if your clients continue to communicate and get updates from the SEPM (default), then LUE will not launch with the message "Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager is available to provide updates, so the scheduled LiveUpdate was skipped." (Edit: This message appears in the SEP client GUI under View Logs > Client Management > View Logs button then System Log.)

Finally, if LiveUpdate did launch and there were no internet, it would just fail and write an error to log.liveupdate.

sandra