Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 client not getting definition updates

Posted Jan 06, 2012 01:10 PM

One of our clients running SEP 12.1 is periodically having an issue where it does not get definiton updates from our SEP server.  This is only happening on one client, and only seems to happen about once or twice a week.  All other communication between the SEP client and server is fine.  To temporarily fix this I've been launching Live update on the client, it then retrieves the definitions via LU, and SEPM will show the updated definitions after I update policy on the client (updating policy will not push through new updates from the SEPM server though).  I've tried to run repair through add/remove programs, it stopped midway through with error 'access denied'.  I rebooted the server after that, and it was fine for about a week, then the same issue came back.  This is only happening on 1 client, all others are fine.  I'm guessing there may be an issue with the client installation, however I'm not having any luck repairing it.  Uninstall is doing the same thing.  The client is otherwise working fine, scans etc are running without error.  Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 client not getting definition updates

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 06, 2012 01:48 PM

Hello,

Are you receiving an Error "Access Denied" when you are running a Repair on the SEP client, correct?

How are you trying to install SEP client on this machine??

What happens when you run the luall.exe from the Client machine??

Why do you reboot the server, when you have an issue on 1 client machine??

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 client not getting definition updates

Posted Jan 06, 2012 02:00 PM

Client machine is Windows 7 with UAC turned off?

If you have the new Windows 7 interface turned on, where the default is the search bar and not the "run" bar, you could do a search for "Appwiz.cpl" (Programs and features) and right click on the entry it finds and "run as administrator".

Alternatively, you can navigate to C:\Windows\System32\appwiz.cpl and right clik from there to "run as administrator".

Try performing your repair from there, as "administrator".  You should no longer get the "access denied" message. 

Possibly, your installation has something corrupted and preventing it from retreiving updates directly from the server.  If that doesn't help, you can try to limit the quantity of old updates the machine keeps, in case one or more has gotten corrupted.  This can be done through the SEPM console.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 client not getting definition updates

Posted Jan 09, 2012 06:01 AM

Hi,

Replase the sylink file and check if and go to control paneal and select Symantec Endpoint Protection do repair and try if not uninstall the symantec in that machine delete symantec folders in 'C' drive  progeram files and common files and document settings and restart the machine and try to install the fresh copy of Symantec from Console machine and update with latest defection and restart the machine and check it will working fine try this.

Regards,

Mohan

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 client not getting definition updates

Posted Jan 09, 2012 10:30 AM

For install I'm going through Add/Remove programs and using the 'repair' option.  Live Update works fine on that machine, after that updates from the SEPM are successful for a day or 2, then the definitions no longer update again.  Sorry for the confusion, when I said I reboot the server I meant the client machine (which is a server on our network)

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 client not getting definition updates

Posted Jan 09, 2012 10:54 AM

The client machine is a W2003 Server, but I did find the appwiz.cpl file...funny thing, SEP is not appearing under add/remove programs now.  But, I can open the program fine, and it has updated definition files currently.  Can I push a new install of SEP onto the client from the SEPM console?  Now I have no idea how to remove the current one...it was under Add/remove last time I checked, it no longer is though.