Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 Group Updater Setup

Posted Aug 31, 2011 07:57 PM

Hey i have been trying to setup a Group update provider via the implementation guide though i still cant get my head around it.

In poilicies under live update i have created a policy that has "Use the default management server" and "use a Group Update Provider" radio box ticked.

In Group updater i have defined a server's IP that i want to use as the updater and i apply it to the group that the server is in. (I have created a specific group for this)

Now i have another group on the same site that has a mix of workstations and laptops. Now to allow these clients to download the updates from this server do i just apply the same live update policy to the group?

Do i have to specify the group update policy for the server to use a group updater?

From what i understand any client can be a group updater, there isn't anything that you have to setup/download on the server to allow other clients to download from it apart from creating a liveupdate policy for other groups that want to and define the Group Provider to point to the servers IP/Host name.

Sounds good?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 Group Updater Setup

Posted Aug 31, 2011 11:46 PM

Hello,

Please check out the below document ,

Configuring a Group Update Provider

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55184&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1314848512952

You can also refer to the below link for more information on GUP,

About configuring rules for multiple Group Update Providers

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55244&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1314848136854

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 Group Updater Setup

Posted Aug 31, 2011 11:50 PM

Now i have another group on the same site that has a mix of workstations and laptops. Now to allow these clients to download the updates from this server do i just apply the same live update policy to the group?

from the same GUP machine , yes apply the same Liveupdate policy.

Do i have to specify the group update policy for the server to use a group updater? 

if you want to configure the servers to get the updates from GUP then yes apply the policy.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 Group Updater Setup
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 01, 2011 06:27 AM

Hello,

There is not much of a Difference between Group Update Provider in SEP 11 and SEP 12.1.

Group update providers (GUPs) are fully backwards compatible. A 12.1 Manager can manage 11.0 GUPs and 12.1 GUPs can update 11.0 clients.

Please go through the Knowledgebase Articles & Training Program on GUP provided which would explain you GUP Architecture.

TRAINING:

Amazing Video’s created on Group Update Provider on the Symantec Connect website.

Here is the Information on "Group Update Provider in RU5 / MR5" ===================================================

1) New features and functionality in Symantec Endpoint Protection Release Update 5 (SEP RU 5) Group Update Provider (GUP)

2) Best Practices with Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Group Update Providers (GUP)

3) Configuring the Group Update Provider (GUP) in Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU5

4) How To Optimize Endpoint Protection for Branch Offices using GUPs, Load Balancing, and Location Awareness

5) How to locate the Group Update Provider (GUP) list in Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU5

6) How to search for the clients that act as Group Update Providers ?

Hope that helps!!!