Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 Install and 11.0 Remote agent sync

Posted Feb 15, 2012 04:06 PM

Hello,

I got an issue and need some answers/solutions to do that.

I was going to upgrade our Symantec Endpoint Protection environment from 11.0 to 12.1. But got into some issues.

The SEP server crashed and we were not able to recover anything. It was backup exec server too and so we didn't had any backup of it anywhere else. I am now working on fixing this issue. I am not going to install SEP 11.0 again as I was already upgrading to 12.1.

So I have decided to install 12.1 on brand new server and totally fresh install.

Do SEP 12.1 install and SEPM 12.1 install is different or the same?

I have some questions after the install math though related to synchronizing old remote agents to new SEP server and new SEP version:

1) how the 11.0 remote agent will work with new installed SEP?

2) Do I have to manually sync them with 12.1 SEP or they sync automatically?

3) Do I have to update the sylink.xml files on the remote computer manually?

4) Or do I have to uninstall them from all the clients and then push the remote agent from SEP server again?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 Install and 11.0 Remote agent sync

Posted Feb 15, 2012 07:49 PM

Hello,

1) Do SEP 12.1 install and SEPM 12.1 install is different or the same?

Ans : Yes , SEP client and SEPM is different install

2) how the 11.0 remote agent will work with new installed SEP?

Ans: SEPM 12.1 can managed SEP 11.x client.

3) Do I have to update the sylink.xml files on the remote computer manually

Ans : How to point Symantec Endpoint Protection(SEP) clients to a new Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager after you have either uninstalled, are going to decommission or replace the Existing Primary Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM).

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH92556

4) do I have to uninstall them from all the clients and then push the remote agent from SEP server again

Ans : No need to unnstall SEP 11.x clients

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 Install and 11.0 Remote agent sync
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 15, 2012 08:13 PM

1) Do SEP 12.1 install and SEPM 12.1 install is different or the same?

SEP is the client and SEPM is Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console which is the console through which you can manager SEP clients, which is the actual antivirus.

2) how the 11.0 remote agent will work with new installed SEP?

SEPM 12.1 can fully manage 11.x Clients and they would continue to communicate with the 12.1 SEPM

3) Do I have to update the sylink.xml files on the remote computer manually

Yes, Since you would have to..you could either use the Sylink Replacer Utility or the Sylink Drop.

You would be able to get these tools by contacting support and opening a technical case.

4) do I have to uninstall them from all the clients and then push the remote agent from SEP server again

No, you can just update the sylink on the 11.x clients and then follow the upgrade process to upgrade your clients.

Once your clients start communicating, things are much simpler.

Installation and Migration Documents for Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163707&key=54619

Phone numbers to contact Tech Support:-

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:
    United States: https://support.broadcom.com (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
    Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
    United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000

India: Toll-Free 000 800 4401 456 directly

IDD call: +61 2 8220 7111

Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 Install and 11.0 Remote agent sync

Posted Feb 16, 2012 11:09 AM

Thanks to both of you for your help. I understood now that what steps I need to do:

- Install the SEPM 12.1

-Install SEP 12.1 on the SEP server.

-Using the sylink replacer, replace all the sylink files on client machines to target them to the new sep server and everything should be good after that.

:)