Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 12.1 live update

• 1.  SEP 12.1 live update

Posted Apr 03, 2012 01:40 AM

I use a SEP 12.1 client - unmanaged. Live update stopped working in it. I have attached a screenshot. Wt could the problem be ? I have not made any changes in the system recently. I use Win 7 and LU was working fine until a few days ago.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 live update

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 03, 2012 02:18 AM

can you try reinstalling liveupdate and let know the result

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH171060

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 live update

Posted Apr 03, 2012 02:23 AM

Problem

You need to uninstall and reinstall Symantec LiveUpdate on a computer where Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) or a Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 (SEP 11) client is installed.

Solution

Use Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel to uninstall LiveUpdate. Run the LiveUpdate installer to install LiveUpdate again.

To uninstall and reinstall LiveUpdate:

1. In Windows Explorer make a back-up copy of the following files:

< >On Windows 2000, XP and 2003:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Product.Inventory.LiveUpdateC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.LiveUpdate

On Windows Vista, 7 and 2008:C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Product.Inventory.LiveUpdate and Settings.LiveUpdate

Click Start Settings Control Panel.
    2. Click Add or Remove Programs.
    3. Click LiveUpdate.
    4. Click Change/Remove.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall LiveUpdate.
    6. In Windows Explorer, delete the following folders if they are present: 
      1. On Windows 2000, XP and 2003:
        • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate

On Windows Vista, 7 and 2008:
        • C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\

Install LiveUpdate using LUSETUP.EXE located in the SEP installation files, in one of the following folders:
          ...CD1\SEPM\ or ...CD1\SEP\

--Or-- 

Download the LUSETUP.EXE file from the following Symantec LiveUpdate Web Page or alternatively from the directFTP link. Be sure to download the version of LUSETUP.EXE that is appropriate for your version of Symantec Endpoint Protection. (For Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x that would be LiveUpdate 3.3)
    7. Browse to:

< >On Windows 2000, XP and 2003:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\

On Windows Vista, 7 and 2008:C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\
      Click Start, then Run.
    8. Type cmd, then click OK. This will bring up a command prompt.
    9. At the command prompt type cd and the path to lucatalog.exe. By default the command would be: 

cd C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin

10. Enter the following:
      • On SEP 12.1 lucatalog.exe -forcedupdate
      • On SEP 11.x lucatalog.exe -update

Note:  If SEP 12 Small Business Edition is installed, then the default command would be cd C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Protection Center\bin

To register the SEP Client with LiveUpdate:

1. Click Start Settings Control Panel.
    3. Click Symantec Endpoint Protection.
    4. Click Change.
    5. Click Next, select Repair, and click Next again.
    6. Click Install.
    7. Click Finish.

Problem

You need to uninstall and reinstall Symantec LiveUpdate on a computer where Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) or a Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 (SEP 11) client is installed.

Solution

Use Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel to uninstall LiveUpdate. Run the LiveUpdate installer to install LiveUpdate again.

To uninstall and reinstall LiveUpdate:

1. In Windows Explorer make a back-up copy of the following files:

< >On Windows 2000, XP and 2003:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Product.Inventory.LiveUpdateC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.LiveUpdate

On Windows Vista, 7 and 2008:C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Product.Inventory.LiveUpdate and Settings.LiveUpdate

Click Start Settings Control Panel.
      3. Click LiveUpdate.
      4. Click Change/Remove.
      5. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall LiveUpdate.
      6. In Windows Explorer, delete the following folders if they are present: 
        1. On Windows 2000, XP and 2003:
          • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate

On Windows Vista, 7 and 2008:
          • C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\

Install LiveUpdate using LUSETUP.EXE located in the SEP installation files, in one of the following folders:
            ...CD1\SEPM\ or ...CD1\SEP\

--Or-- 

Download the LUSETUP.EXE file from the following Symantec LiveUpdate Web Page or alternatively from the directFTP link. Be sure to download the version of LUSETUP.EXE that is appropriate for your version of Symantec Endpoint Protection. (For Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x that would be LiveUpdate 3.3)
      7. Browse to:

< >On Windows 2000, XP and 2003:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\

On Windows Vista, 7 and 2008:C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\
        Click Start, then Run.
      8. Type cmd, then click OK. This will bring up a command prompt.
      9. At the command prompt type cd and the path to lucatalog.exe. By default the command would be: 

cd C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin

10. Enter the following:
        • On SEP 12.1 lucatalog.exe -forcedupdate
        • On SEP 11.x lucatalog.exe -update

Note:  If SEP 12 Small Business Edition is installed, then the default command would be cd C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Protection Center\bin

To register the SEP Client with LiveUpdate:

1. Click Start Settings Control Panel.
      3. Click Symantec Endpoint Protection.
      4. Click Change.
      5. Click Next, select Repair, and click Next again.
      6. Click Install.
      7. Click Finish.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 live update

Posted Apr 03, 2012 05:40 AM

Hi NGM New,

Just a quick question: is that unmanaged client going to the interenet LiveUpdate servers to look for its updates, or is it configured to look in an internal source?  (Perhaps a LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x server on your network?)

Examining the log.lue will reveal mor details about where it is looking.

Thanks and best regards,

Mick 

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 live update

Posted Apr 03, 2012 06:09 AM

Have an look at this document for SEP 12.1 clients. As pointed out there, you can use the SEP Support Tool to check your client. It can be downloaded easily by pressing Help > Download Support Tool on the client interface.

How to clear out definitions for a Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client manually

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO59193

This document may help as well:

The Symantec Endpoint Protection Support Tool reports problems with virus definitions

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH92043

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 live update

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 03, 2012 06:14 AM

Hello,

I agree with Mick above.

Secondly, what version of SEP are you carrying? Is that SEP 12.1 RTM => 12.1.671.4971

SEP 12.1 RU1 => 12.1.1000.157?

Not forgetting you are carrying Windows 7 machines. So, please check the UAC settings on the machine. Could you turn off the UAC on the Windows 7 machine?

Again, we would like to also know if you are carrying any Proxy on this machine?

Check the Step 3,4,5 and 6 from the Article below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-configure-proxy-settings-symantec-endpoint-protection-manager-sepm-121

Hope that helps!!

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 live update

Posted Apr 03, 2012 06:21 AM
    Hi Pete. I have tried reinstalling from the link sent by you. But that is'nt working. There is one more thing that I have noticed. Even though I change the live update mode from "express" to "interactive", there is no change in the way SEP is trying to update.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 live update

Posted Apr 03, 2012 06:29 AM
    Hi Mick. Yes. It will access the internet LU servers to look for updates.

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1 live update

Posted Apr 04, 2012 10:16 AM
    Can anyone pls assist me in getting the issue solved. I have tried the options above. But they did not work. I have tried using the support tool , and it gives me an error stating that windows firewall is blocking SEP. But my firewall is turned off. SEP Manages it.

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1 live update

Posted Apr 04, 2012 10:34 AM

Hi NGM,

I recommend opening a case with Tech Support.  This forum is great for peer-to-peer assistance, but if you need professional help with SEP it may be best to go to the traine engineers.  They will be able to collect and examine diagnostics that get right to the root of the trouble.

Hope this helps!

Mick 

• 11.  RE: SEP 12.1 live update

Posted Apr 05, 2012 12:08 AM

Please reinstall the liveupdate

Regards