Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 Network Issues

Posted Aug 09, 2011 08:56 AM

After upgrading from SEP 11.6 to SEP 12.1 some computers have the new SEP version take control of thier computer.  It blocks everything including domain access and all webistes.  When you go to Windows Firewall, which is disabled by our Group Policy, there is a message saying Symantec is managaing the Firewall.  This is a huge pain to deal with.  If we uninstall SEP the computer works just fine. Even when we reinstall the previous version of SEP the computer works great and accesses the managment server.  It's only when 12.1 is installed is when we get this issue.

Computers:

Windows 7 64bit

16Gb RAM

Any help in this would be gratly appreciated.

Thank You.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 Network Issues

Posted Aug 09, 2011 10:19 AM

Have installed the firewall component too? check the client logs; it might show something about the firewall rule which is blocking it.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 Network Issues

Posted Aug 09, 2011 10:34 AM

We disable the firewall in Symantec, but the computer is still blocked.  It even blocks SEP from communicateing with the managment server but that may be due to the fact that is doesn't allow the computer to connect to our domain.  The blocked computer can still ping the managment server though.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 Network Issues

Posted Aug 09, 2011 10:44 AM

Also this is the only computer with "R3" Virus Definitions.  (See Screen Shot)

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 Network Issues

Posted Aug 30, 2011 11:59 AM

I have contacted SEP Support.  They think it's an issue with our install packages that the server created.  This is a known issue and they said we have to go to all computers and unistall it and then reinstall it.  That is not a possibility.  We have over 100 computers, just think if we had 1000's of computers.  That is not a fix for your bad software.  I will keep this post updated when I get someone from support that knows whats going on.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 Network Issues

Posted Aug 30, 2011 03:05 PM

I think u installed SEP with NTP the firewall component,

if used without proper testing, It can block everything.

You can create a new package without NTP and push it to the cilents using migration and deployment wizard

this will uninstall NTP and install only those selected in the package u created above

after reboot, u r client should communicate with the manager.