Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 not installing on Windows XP SP3

Posted Sep 04, 2012 05:33 AM

Hello,

I tried installing SEP 12.1 on a Windows XP Machine via SEPM (test-version - we're currently evaluating).

The Installation always fails, leaving a few entries in the windows event log - Application , that don't help me very much.

1. Error by MsiInstaller code 11708 - Installation operation failed

2. 2 Errors by "Symantec Endpoint Protection" code 36 and 37 - doesn't show any other information

3. Another Error by MsiInstaller code 11708 - Produkt: Symantec Endpoint Protection -- Installation operation failed.

What I already tried:

Everything in this thread, that is applicable to Windows XP: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/wizard-was-interrupted-when-trying-install-sep-windows-7-64bit

Cleaning the registry and temp files with ccleaner

Look for problems with the SEP SupportTool (says everything is fine)

installing liveupdate before sep (as suggested in another forum)

The installation seems to run fine up to this point (excempt from the SEP_INST.LOG)

MSI (s) (24:68) [11:15:03:415]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSID8.tmp, Entrypoint: ShowServiceProgress_RB
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress_RB() MSIRUNMODE_ROLLBACK
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress_RB() calling WaitForSingleObject(scriptStarted) ...
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress_RB() WaitForSingleObject(scriptStarted) returned WAIT_OBJECT_0

then it takes some time until a huge lot of these entries is generated:

ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress_RB() script execution failed.
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress_RB() reset script failure event.

then there's this entry:

ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress_RB() the event loop was signaled to terminate
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress_RB() is returning ERROR_SUCCESS

after which everything, that was installed before seems to get deleted and the installer ends with a failed installation

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 not installing on Windows XP SP3

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 04, 2012 06:09 AM

Hello,

Could you please upload the entire SEP_Inst.log from %temp%, so that we could check the root cause of the issue?

Is there any older version of SEP client installed on the client machine?

Again, check this Article -

Steps to prepare computers to install Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163112

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 not installing on Windows XP SP3

Posted Sep 04, 2012 06:45 AM

HI,

Try Clean Wipe tool to Clean all registry entry after you can reinstall SEP client .

Best way is to create a web case, Support engineer will send you the login credentials to download the utility.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58873

How to Create and Validate a SymAccount for using Symantec's MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31127

How to update a support case and upload diagnostic files with MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71023

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 not installing on Windows XP SP3

Posted Sep 04, 2012 07:46 AM
      |   view attached

Is there any older version of SEP client installed on the client machine?

right now there's no antivirus software installed on the client machine. Before I tried installing SEP, Kaspersky Endpoint 8 was running on the machine (removed it with "kavremover" tool). I had ~10 other clients that ran Kaspersky, but installed SEP just fine.

Again, check this Article -

Steps to prepare computers to install Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163112

The client is prepared, I have local Admin rights, the client is part of a windows domain, firewall is completely disabled atm. and no other antivirus software is running.

I've attached the full SEP_INST logfile

Attachment(s)

zip
    SEP_INST_55.zip   171 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 not installing on Windows XP SP3

Posted Sep 04, 2012 08:06 AM

hi,

Try Clean Wipe tool to Clean all registry entry after you can reinstall SEP client

first you will be install Live update after you can install sep client..

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 not installing on Windows XP SP3

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 04, 2012 08:41 AM

Hello,

Upon checking the Logs, we saw as below:

MSI (s) (24:44) [11:13:54:248]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=ShowServiceProgress_RB,ActionType=3329,Source=BinaryData,Target=ShowServiceProgress_RB,CustomActionData={178F37B2-2070-4D75-AE00-47E0FC9E875E};SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection;Zurücksetzungsskript wird über Dienst ausgeführt;)
    MSI (s) (24:44) [11:13:54:263]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=ShowServiceProgress,Description=Installationsskript wird über Dienst ausgeführt,Template=[1])
    MSI (s) (24:44) [11:13:54:263]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=ShowServiceProgress,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=ShowServiceProgress,CustomActionData={178F37B2-2070-4D75-AE00-47E0FC9E875E};SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection;Installationsskript wird über Dienst ausgeführt;)
    MSI (s) (24:F8) [11:13:54:279]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSID7.tmp, Entrypoint: ShowServiceProgress
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress() MSIRUNMODE_SCHEDULED
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress() calling WaitForSingleObject(scriptStarted) ...
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress() WaitForSingleObject(scriptStarted) returned WAIT_OBJECT_0
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress() script execution failed.
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress() reset script failure event.
    ScriptGen: ShowServiceProgress() is returning an error (so close to the end!)
    MSI (s) (24:44) [11:15:03:321]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (24:44) [11:15:03:321]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    Aktion beendet um 11:15:03: InstallFinalize. Rückgabewert 3.

Communicate RB:  calling communicate state with the following arguments: 
    Communicate RB: Prodversion = 12.1.1101.401
    Communicate RB: PathToSylink = C:\Meine Firma_Standardgruppe_WIN32BIT\Symantec Endpoint Protection, Version 12.1.1101.401\
    Communicate RB: Oldversion = 
    Communicate RB: ReasonStr = 
    MSI (s) (24:44) [11:16:02:295]: Executing op: End(Checksum=0,ProgressTotalHDWord=0,ProgressTotalLDWord=0)
    MSI (s) (24:44) [11:16:02:295]: Error in rollback skipped. Return: 5
    Communicate RB: StatusCode = 302469120
    MSI (s) (24:44) [11:16:02:326]: Calling SRSetRestorePoint API. dwRestorePtType: 13, dwEventType: 103, llSequenceNumber: 309, szDescription: "".
    MSI (s) (24:44) [11:16:02:357]: The call to SRSetRestorePoint API succeeded. Returned status: 0.
    MSI (s) (24:44) [11:16:02:357]: Unlocking Server
    MSI (s) (24:44) [11:16:02:357]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting UpdateStarted property. Its current value is '1'.
    Aktion beendet um 11:16:02: INSTALL. Rückgabewert 3.
    Property(S): UpgradeCode = {24BF7A02-B60A-494B-843A-793BBC77DED4}

Suggestions -

1) What happens if you try copy pasting the setup.exe on the local machine and then running the setup.exe from the local machine?
    2) If we change the local language on machine from German to English and check if the installation works? OR Install the SEPM german version and install german SEP client on the machine and check if that works.

Hope that helps!!

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 not installing on Windows XP SP3

Posted Sep 04, 2012 09:59 AM
    1) What happens if you try copy pasting the setup.exe on the local machine and then running the setup.exe from the local machine?

I tried that. I made a Setup.exe using SEPM, copied that to the Client and executed it, but the result is the same.

2) If we change the local language on machine from German to English and check if the installation works? OR Install the SEPM german version and install german SEP client on the machine and check if that works.

Well, the SEPM installation is in german, as is the SEP Client. I could change the language on the machine to english, but I doubt, that's going to help.

hi,

Try Clean Wipe tool to Clean all registry entry after you can reinstall SEP client

first you will be install Live update after you can install sep client..

I'll try that, if I can get my hands on a copy of the tool. I'm currently stuck trying to validate my account.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 not installing on Windows XP SP3

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 04, 2012 10:21 AM

Hello,

CleanWipe would not help as it works only in English Windows OS.

In this case, Try manual Uninstallation steps - 

How to manually uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client from Windows XP and Windows 2003 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163585

Manual uninstall documents for Symantec Endpoint Protection

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164769

Hope that helps!!

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1 not installing on Windows XP SP3

Posted Sep 14, 2012 03:06 AM

That didn't work either.

I gave up trying to install it to that machine and installed it on a different machine in the same department.

Thanks for trying to help anyway :)