Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

SEP 12.1 Notification Conditions- How to update, none are available to edit

Created: 20 Sep 2012 • Updated: 02 Oct 2012 | 26 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I just upgraded to SEP 12.1. We are receiving some repeat notifications via email. My issue is that I cannot find where my notifications are configured so that I can modify them. I have checked in the SEPM Console, Monitors > Notifications but there are no conditions configured, however, I am receiving notifications via email. The other issue is that in the notification emails I am receiving, it lists the Administrator email address. This address is invalid (person doesn't work here anymore). Is it possible that even though I am an admin that I cannot see the notification conditions?

Comments 26 CommentsJump to latest comment

Chetan Savade's picture

Updated

Hi,

There are two weekly scheduled reports & serven pre-defined notifications configured by Symantec.

Schedule Reports: SEPM --> Reports --> Scheduled Reports

Notification locations:

SEPM--> Monitors--> Notificaitons --> View Notifications --> Notifications Conditions

Chetan Savade
Sr Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

Chetan, Thank you for the reply/post. "View Notifications" is empty too. It seems that the upgrade went well, and the notifications are working, but they are no where to be found.

SEPM.JPG
Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

I hope you have checked by clicking on 'Notification Conditions' tab.

If conditions are not present, run upgrade.bat file & recheck.

You will find it under C: or installed drive \Program Files or (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin\upgrade.bat

Chetan Savade

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

Rafeeq's picture

Under server node

right click on the site

check the address you have specified...

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

Rafeeq, where is the server node you are talking about? I am logged into the SEP Manager Console and I do not see SERVER anywhere. I have viewed the obvious places where the notifications should be and they do not exist. I cannot EDIT anything, because nothing exists.

Ashish-Sharma's picture

HI,

Kindly check.

How many Limited administrator account configure in SEPM console ?

Any other Limited administrator account Mail Notification are configured ?

If not available try to run upgrade.bat or Repair SEPM on add/Remove Program

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

I am not a Limited Admin. I had the other admin check and his looks the same as mine, no notifications.

.Brian's picture

Did you look under:

Reports tab >> Scheduled Reports?

Should be under here

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

To all, I did try running the update.bat file. No change. I will run the repair option under add/remove programs see what happens. Thanks to everyone that has replied so far.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Instead of running repair through add/remove program, try to repair it with the help of original setup files.

Chetan Savade

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

Sorry folks....none of the suggestions are working. Here is another item I noted. Prior to the upgrade, the emails being sent out were from NMONITOR@xxxxxxxxx.com this was the "from" address we had setup. Now the messages are coming from SEPM_Server@xxxxxxxxxxx.com.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Could you please confirm the upgrade path?

Chetan Savade

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

Chetan, I know I came from 11.7.???? to 12.1 RU2 but I cannot find the exact version of 11.7 that I was running. If I recall, the software should have prevented me from upgrading had it not been supported.

.Brian's picture

Were the alerts created by a user that had been deleted from the system at some point?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

.Brian's picture

In the past, I've always dealt with this by making a change to the DB itself. Not recommended but if you can, I would suggest doing this.

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

Thanks Brian, what do you use to access/modify the db? I also tried recreating the former admin... no luck.

.Brian's picture

Query Express:

http://www.albahari.com/queryexpress.aspx

Ashish-Sharma's picture

Hi,

You can raised support ticket.

Contact Symantec Customer Care on 

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:
United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000
Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp   India: Toll-Free 000 800 4401 456                                                                                            

IDD call: +61 2 8220 7111

Contact Symantec Customer Care on 

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

I got tired of dealing with this so I went out and created another problem!!! My lack of experience and lack of patience with SEPM. I wiped out my installation and installed SEPM 12.1 from scratch. This may require a fresh post and close this topic.

1- SEPM is up and running and licensed (my upgrade did not appear to be licensed, nor could I find the place to activate it) ((with the fresh install, the license details are very easy to locate)).

2- I imported my old policies, but nothing else. I have no groups or clients. (I have manually created my groups)

3- Can I get the new install of 12.1 to communicate to my 11.7 clients (I do not know the encrypted password that was used with the previous installation).

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

1- SEPM is up and running and licensed (my upgrade did not appear to be licensed, nor could I find the place to activate it) ((with the fresh install, the license details are very easy to locate)).

--> Check this article: http://bit.ly/K56HXM

2- I imported my old policies, but nothing else. I have no groups or clients. (I have manually created my groups)

--> Actually there is a way recover the group structure however it's fine if you would have created them correctly

3- Can I get the new install of 12.1 to communicate to my 11.7 clients (I do not know the encrypted password that was used with the previous installation).

--> You can use sylink replacer tool to point existing SEP clients to the new SEPM manager.

Restoring communication to clients with a new Sylink.xml file

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH106288

You have not mentioned specific version details so I will prefer to deploy fresh new client packages.

Configuring and deploying client software on Windows computers

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Chetan Savade

SOLUTION
GreggZ_CTNA's picture

Thank you Chetan!! I have been able to update the communications on the existing clients and I am starting to update those to 12.1.

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

Chetan, Do you know if I can recover a policy? I discovered that I did not export the policy for my mail servers and I am afraid to upgrade that client. I have the entire DIR structure copied (to another folder) from my old installation.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

About which policy are you talking about? Which policy you haven't exported?

Chetan Savade