Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Migration User

Migration UserMay 27, 2011 09:29 AM

Migration User

Migration UserAug 29, 2011 03:07 PM

• 1.  SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted May 27, 2011 01:09 AM

Installed SEPM 12.1 on a server with no issue. Created an x86 and x64 package and have no issue with the x86 package. I tried to install the x64 package on a Windows 7 x64 SP1 machine and nothing happens. I drive activiity and then nothing. I don't know where to look for logs so I can be of more help. There is nothing in event viewer at all.

I tried pushing the client from SEPM as well. Same result.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted May 27, 2011 02:23 AM

Hi Mark,

Just FYI: you may find the best assistance with SEP 12.1 here in its dedicated connect forum: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/SEP_12_Beta_Group

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 27, 2011 02:33 AM

check for the sep_inst.log!

did you select the right package (64 bit)?

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted May 27, 2011 09:17 AM

No sep_inst.log in %temp% and I chose the right package. Does it not work with 7 SP1?

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted May 27, 2011 09:29 AM

It works with Windows 7 SP1 64 bit.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted May 27, 2011 03:09 PM

I'm having a similar issue when installing SEP 12.1,  I get Error 1309: Error reading from file: Actares.dll

It references a folder path that doesn't exist yet.

I'm guessing this may be a .Net issue as I have seen with 1309 error's in the past, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

rW

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Jun 21, 2011 12:59 PM

My issue was that when I unzipped the install packages, it just unzipped all the files into a folder without saving the base install folders so some of the files were pointing or referensing folders that were non existant.  When I did another unzipping, I was able to keep the folder structure of the install packages, and this worked perferct.  Install went down very easy.

Wtih that said, my first take is I like the product.  I don't see where you can profile applications, like you can in NIS 2011 for File Insight.  I also don't see the VM image for the Protection Center.  Other than that, the product looks good and stable.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Jul 15, 2011 03:10 PM

Hi,

Is there any kind of security software installed in the WIN 7 machine.? If so try to delete all the possible entries of the other security s/w.

If not, try to deploy to one win 7 64bit SP1 OS. See the result,

if still the same, try to uninstall the SP1 (for a while) and then deploy. If it works then the issue is with compatability.

I will do more research and reply...

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Jul 15, 2011 05:13 PM

Check whether you are selecting 64 bit application to install

then try with removal of SP1 from Windows 7

Here are the documents for system requirements for SEP 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163806

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Aug 06, 2011 03:27 AM

SEP 12.1 is not working on Win7 x64 or Vista x64 - and it's not the SP1 involved.

I have the same problem, I tried to installed on Vista x64 and Win 7 x64 - with the same results: after restart the smc service refuses to start, and admin can not modify status of this service. It is not a problem with windows service-packs, IT IS A SYMANTEC PROBLEM!!! 

For Symantec Support: please resolve this issue and stop bother us with non-sense questions!!! It is a BUG from symantec. There are hundreds and thousands of posts with x64 problem of SEP 12.1. We are not stupid! 

Until this issue will be resolved, I had installed SEP 11.0.63 on x64 machines, because this is working.

There is no problem on SEP manager 12.1, it is installing and it works fine, the only problem is the client install package for win x64 platform (Vista or 7). I have 3 years experience on SEP, I know how to install or uninstall this product, I read hundreds of forum-posts with sep problems. 

STOP TREAT US LIKE STUPID PEOPLE! PLEASE REZOLVE THIS BUG!

• 11.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Aug 08, 2011 10:49 AM

So I've been testing this for the past couple of days, and I am unable to reproduce these issues.

I have installed multiple times both managed and unmanaged onto a Windows 7 x64 SP1 machine with no issues at all, either before or after reboot.

Can you help me out, do you have further details?  I have tried both managed and unmanaged packages.

What other applications are installed on the client?

• 12.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Aug 08, 2011 10:59 AM

How about providing more info. Did you log a support case with them so they can begin to review logs and get to the root cause?

I've installed without issues so I'm curious as to what this may be.

• 13.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Aug 08, 2011 03:06 PM

Are you doing a silent install? Because I cannot run the SEP 12.1 EXE installer on a Windows 7 x64 SP1 computer that has UAC enabled because it gives a really strange security error. The SEP 11.x EXE installers would give the normal UAC prompt, but the SEP 12.1 installer does not do that. It just errors out trying to launch the installer.

I'm guessing if it was a silent install with the same issue, you would just see an install attempt that did nothing.

• 14.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Aug 08, 2011 06:46 PM

I've just tested silent install twice, no issues.

I get a standard UAC Prompt on W7 x64, I click "Yes" and the install proceeds, completely silent.

Once the install completes (based on looking in eventvwe and taskmgr) I manually reboot the client and its working perfectly after a reboot.

Whats the "strange security error" you get when you try it on your client?

• 15.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Aug 08, 2011 08:02 PM

Mark,

It would be helpful if you could attach an installation log (SEP_INST.LOG) from an affected machine.

Regards,

James

• 16.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Aug 16, 2011 12:27 PM

Is it possible that you have a custom GPO that modifies the security of that service on the clients? I ran into an issue similar to this at my previous job. Where somebody had put in "tamper protections" on the services for antivirus and it was locking admins out even from modifying the service.

• 17.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Aug 29, 2011 03:07 PM

Are there more known issue on 12.1?

• 18.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Aug 29, 2011 04:08 PM

Known Issues for Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163700

James

• 19.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Aug 31, 2011 12:36 AM

Is it possible at all to install SEP12.1 without this fuss about x64 or x86...

we were able to get around this before by installing LUSETUP and this time it does not work at all...

The mesassage that pops up is "This version of SEP does not support 64bit platforms. Please install SEP for Win64 instead"

Why all this fuss about x64 or x86...

• 20.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Feb 13, 2012 07:01 PM

There is seriously a known issue with SEP 12.1 with Windows XP SP3 (x86), SEP 12.1 RU1 on Windows XP SP3 (x64) and Windows 7 Pro SP1 (x64).

Many colleagues who bought the last version reported me roll back issue even on new computer with no software/no security tools at all previously installed.

The most surprising is especially roll back of SEP 12.1 RU1 installation on Win7 Pro SP1 x64.

I've been trying some tests to give an hand and no matter the package used, the one from File Connect or one created from SEPM Console, it results a roll back. CleanWipe has been tried and the installation still rolls back.

on SEP_inst.log there is nothing special excepted the basic return code 3 (very known over there).

However on SIS_inst.log (new installation log file, I think), some errors are refering about Bash Drivers. It's like during installation SEP is not able to find out a directory for this drivers and then a script execution fails after.

I'm not sure but if Bash drivers fail to install then many other drivers fails as well cause I noticed after there are failure with other drivers of SEP. Like a dependancy probably.

UAC and Windows Defender have been disabled and a Local Administrator account with a password set as well.

It would be very helpful if Symantec can provide in forum all the pre-requisites to be able to avoid any roll back installation in this type of situation.

Because I recommended to one of my colleague to contact Symantec Support and they told him it's a known issue and the only alternative is to retrieve Bash Drivers files existing on a computer with same environment and OS to regroup on new Zip folder to rename as the BashDefs.zip folder existing on the default package to replace the one which fails to install.

It's not a solution ... Especially if someone has over 500 laptops like that and he tested to install SEP 12.1 RU1 on 3 of them and the issue has been reproduced on the 3 laptops.

It would be very deceiving if we have to install SEP 11.0 RU7 when SEP 12.1 and 12.1 RU1 were supposed to support much more better the most recent OS. That's not fair.

• 21.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Feb 13, 2012 10:57 PM

I have seen these issues at another site. What fixed these issues was installing bith the SEPM as "The Administrator" (holding down control and right clicking setup, and choosing 'Run as Administrator'). This gives the Windows Installer a different set of credentials, and will install some components under TrustedInstaller.They found that this was an integral part to getting the SEP client also to install on Server 2008 and all 64-bit systems.

• 22.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Feb 13, 2012 11:29 PM

We will utilize SCCM to install the 12.1 package.  Has this issue been known to happen when installing in that manner silently?

• 23.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Feb 14, 2012 10:28 AM

This customer found out that there is a difference installing all applications as "The Administrator" and as a member of the "Administrators Group".

Try it in a lab setting and see if you get different results.

This is also Best Practices from the Microsoft 2008 classes that I have taken, for installing software.

• 24.  RE: SEP 12.1 package not installing on Windows 7x64 SP1

Posted Feb 14, 2012 03:40 PM

I always install SEPMs with a userid that is a member of the Administrator's group on the server. I am  starting to install v12.1 SEPMs. Do I need to re-install?

Thanks

EDIT  Below lernal confirms that it is not enough to be a member of the Administrators group. You must be Administrator or use Run As on the installing executable.    Thanks!