Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SEP 12.1 RU1 Installation Failure on Mac OS 10.7.4

Created: 26 Jun 2012 • Updated: 26 Jun 2012 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I had SEP 12.1 running on a 2011 MacBook Pro under  OSX 10.6.8.  After upgrading to OSX 10.7, SEP continued to work with the exception of LiveUpdate.  Any attempt to run LiveUpdate would result in an error that necessary components were missing.  I used the Symantec Uninstaller to completely remove SEP 12.1, then rebooted and attempted to install SEP 12.1 RU1.  Unfortunately, the installation fails each time with an unspecified error.  I have repaired disk permissions and run a verify & repair (no problems found) on my system disk, as well as downloading a new copy of the installer package to rule out a corrupted installer, but still cannot complete SEP 12.1 RU1 installation on my system.  The contents of the install log are attached--the error is first reported near the end of the log.  Any help would be appreciated!

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

MichaelD50's picture

From the Mac Finder>Go>Connect to Server

Server Address: ftp://ftp.symantec.com

Connect as Guest

misc>tools>mactools

Drag RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip to the desktop

Unzip and launch RemoveSymantecMacFiles.command

When it finishes and you have rebooted, try the install from the 12.1.1000 installer again

In a perfect world, it would have been best to remove the Mac SEP client before the OS upgrade, but hindsight is 20/20!

Michael

Jason1222's picture

Might not fix the problem, but worth a try and definitely does wonders for the machine.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

OddZilla's picture

Thanks for your replies.  After I posted the problem, I rebooted into a "rescue" partition of OSX that I keep handy for those rare occassions when my system acts up.  That partition happens to have McAfee installed, so I used it to run a complete system scan.  It identified a single threat and deleted the affected file, but doesn't provide any details about what threat/file/location (one of the reasons I prefer SEP).  After that, I rebooted, ran another permissions repair, and was then able to install SEP with no problems.

I have no idea whether it was the several reboots, the removal of a potential virus (doubtful since 99/100 times, if I get a virus warning on my Mac, it's for a Windows-specific virus), or the additional run through disk utility that solved the problem...

In any case, thanks again for the advice!

SOLUTION