Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 - Agents display download arrow and red X

Created: 28 Aug 2012 | 17 comments
JRS17's picture

Hi,

I recently upgraded from SEP 12.1 RU1 to MP1 on a virtual Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent. ed.  I used the upgrade clietns feature in the SEPM console to deploy.  After the deployment, some agents work just fine, others appeared offline.  

Since these are production boxes, I was not able to reboot, so a system admin installed the MP1 agent ontop of the old ones, locally.  After, all agents reported in normally, receive updates, etc.  However, althought the are functioning perfectly, several have a download arrow and X next to their host name with SEPM, rather than the little computer with greeen dot.  When you double click the engine, it status installation failed, rolled back, but the current verision is the latest MP1 agent version.  

Becuase they seem to be functioning fine, I am wondering how to get that X out of the dispaly, so it doesnt look  like there is an issue.  I have deleted the agent, and let report back in, but it did not work. Suggestions, ideas, comments?  Thank you.

Comments 17 CommentsJump to latest comment

JRS17's picture

Host names and usernames have been hidden. thanks. 

Ashish-Sharma's picture
It probably means that the client installation failed. Right click on the client symbol, click "Edit Properties",  and see if there is a error message ("Deployment status" etc.).

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-endpoint-protection-v-1211000157-client-status-icons

Note :If issue is resolved then please mark this thread as a solved.

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

JRS17's picture

I know the symbol means installed failed, but everyhting is working as intended.  I just want to get rid of the x and have a normal mini computer with green dot.  Anyone know how I can make that happend?

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

To have the symbol removed, you need to perform the steps below:

1) Either Make sure the installation of the Latest Version of SEP has been performed correctly on the client machine.

OR / AND

2) Remove the Autoupgrade Package from the Group (if assigned any)

3) Delete those SEP clients enteries from the SEPM manager and wait till the next Heart Beat Interval happens to have the clients respond to the SEPM again.

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

JRS17's picture

Thanks for the repsonse.  unfortunately, I know the issue indicates deployment failure, but the machines are running the latest version, gettting updates, etc.  Because I am in production, I cannot run a cleanwipe, reinstall etc. becuase of reboots.  Option 2 did not work either. 

Is this located in the registry that a key could be changed?  

Ashish-Sharma's picture

The icon displays that the Operating System is incompatible.Or could also mean that the client installation/upgrade of SEP rolled back.

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Swapnil khare's picture

Could you please check if these are duplicate entries for the same clients or users reporting to SEPM ?

if So please delete them from sepm and check how it goes.

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

JRS17's picture

Hi,

No duplicate entries in SEP.  Also, I have deleted the clients from the console and waited for them report back to the SEPM.  Once they do, failed deployment icon still appears.  How do we convince the clients they have the right version running, becuase they do?  Thanks.

Swapnil khare's picture

Hi JRS,

I guess we need to understand the entire network here . Please explain how it is configure for example is replication configured or syslog server set with sepm , are these machines Cloned ?? ie Images which were deployed from an golden image for the OS , was hid removed when SEP client were deployed on these machines if these were image OS as so on ,that should help to narrow down this issue.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

JRS17's picture

The setup is a single SEPM which logs to an external SEIM.  Everything is distributed from the SEPM (updates, logs, policy, etc.).  ~50 servers (all windows server 2008 r2 ent. ed).

The agents were built from a gold image using the clonepreptool, ensuring each agent had a uniqure GUID.  Duplicate agents is not the issue.  However, here is a little more background:

After uprading to MP1 (from RU1), I used the upgrade clients feature to deploy the new agent packages.  More than 50% of the agents received the install file successfully and deployed it correctly.  However, apprx. 10 agents appeared offline.  Since these are production servers, we were not allowed to uninstall, cleanwipe, reboot, and reinstall SEP,  mainly becuase of the reboot of a production server.  As result, the system admin took the new agent install .exe and installed it on top of the agents that were appearing offline.  Then the agents came online and began reporting to SEPM, however they had the bad icon.  Now, when double clicking on the agent, it indcates "Installed failed.  Rolled back", however the current deployment version is the correct one.  The agent is online, receives updates, etc.  but just doesnt display correctly (green dot).  Functionality is not impacted, I just want it to look uniform for screenshots to the client, etc.  

I wonder if there is a database field value that could be changed to report "Install Successfull" in the Deployment Status field, rather than "Install failed, rolled back"

Swapnil khare's picture

if this is the case my gut feeling says you have to schedule a maintainance reboot on your 10 servers.

if the installer is not updated which is again a built in component of sep to sepm and client is installed correctly is what i understand then as this is MS Windows Server rebooting will help.

Try scheduling reboot for 1 problem server machine which appears offline / no green dot . SEP is installed with correct version is what is notice from above post's .I guess your servers should be good with a normal reboot.

Swapnil khare's picture

Any update ?

.Brian's picture

Delete them from SEPM and let them check back in. Should show as normal than.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

JRS17's picture

That was one of the first things I tried, did not work.   

Would it be a bad idea to execute a query to change that field to "Successful Install" on the DB side?  Then delete the agent and have it check back in?

.Brian's picture

You could but I was be cautious making changes to the DB manually.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Mohan Babu's picture

Stop the DB services 

Restart it again 

Stop the SEPM services alone 

Run the Management Server configuration wizard it will fix this issue for sure.

Note: You need to have the DB password while running Management Server configuration wizard 

Mohan Babu

moglie20@gmail.com

+91 9884382160

Your satisfaction is very important to us.If you find above information helpful or it has resolved your issue...please mark it accordingly :)