Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 RU5

Posted Nov 11, 2014 04:23 AM

about SEP 12.1 RU5 , i have few question, pls help me 

1. about new feature control bandwith in RU5 , There are show me : "The maximum download speed is 1 MB/second (expressed in bytes/second)." . this is total download bandwith for all client or just for 1 client

2. what solution to manager GUP ?  my company have 200 branch , each branch is 100 client , in the past i set static IP for each branch like 1.x.x.10 for GUP client , now network guide change to DHCP so i cannot manager GUP by IP , so what solution to manager GUP and shedule GUP update from SEPM ?

3. can you recommend the number of content revision to keep ? i have 8000 client ( 1 Head office and 200 branch with WAN link 3 MB/branch )

4. i have some client too long not connect to SEPM , when they connect with SEPM again they will download full file content ( *.zip) , the first it will take from GUP , if GUP failed client will connect direct to SEPM , now i have 2 problem here :

a. i was choice option never let client download direct to SEPM after xx day but current too much client connect SEPM in working hours and hamful WAN bandwith . is it something wrong ?

b. even if i allow client connect direct to SEPM to download content update , how to shedule the time for client download ( ex. 12AM - 1 PM ) ?

5. Can LiveUpdate server shedule time and control bandwith for download content, upgrade version for client ?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5

Posted Nov 11, 2014 04:33 AM

1. about new feature control bandwith in RU5 , There are show me : "The maximum download speed is 1 MB/second (expressed in bytes/second)." . this is total download bandwith for all client or just for 1 client

----> for the number of concurrernt connection on a GUP server or machine

2. what solution to manager GUP ?  my company have 200 branch , each branch is 100 client , in the past i set static IP for each branch like 1.x.x.10 for GUP client , now network guide change to DHCP so i cannot manager GUP by IP , so what solution to manager GUP and shedule GUP update from SEPM ?

---> GUP is also a client so it will connect to SEPM based on heartbeat, push / pull mode

3. can you recommend the number of content revision to keep ? i have 8000 client ( 1 Head office and 200 branch with WAN link 3 MB/branch )

-->10 revision means 3 days of def, for such a high count of machiens you need to store, 30 revisons coz you never know when desktops go online for a week or so

4. i have some client too long not connect to SEPM , when they connect with SEPM again they will download full file content ( *.zip) , the first it will take from GUP , if GUP failed client will connect direct to SEPM , now i have 2 problem here :

a. i was choice option never let client download direct to SEPM after xx day but current too much client connect SEPM in working hours and hamful WAN bandwith . is it something wrong ?

b. even if i allow client connect direct to SEPM to download content update , how to shedule the time for client download ( ex. 12AM - 1 PM ) ?

---> its same as 3, if you limit the content revison , sepm will not be able to send delta so its sends full zip. make it to 30 revs

You cannot schedule client updates with SEPM as of now , its all push / pull mode

You can set your clients to get updates from Luadmin , you can distribute based on scheduled.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5

Posted Nov 11, 2014 05:05 AM

dear  Rafeeq

1.as you say , this is total concurrent connection on GUP , not SEPM, right ? I dont understand why it isnot concurrent on SEPM , because GUP also is client in same subnet of client and SEPM need to control bandwith from client connect

2. what solution to manage/ deloy GUP on each subnet ?

3. if i increase to 30 revision , is it good for my envirment ? is it delta content download for client will bestter

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5

Posted Nov 11, 2014 05:15 AM

It will be on both, clients talk to SEPM on 8014 ( this is also concurrent connnection) , SEPM will send address of GUP to clients and clients talk to GUP on 2967 ( Concurrent)

with 12.1, this is nothing you can do from SEPM to control bandwidth.

2) Gup on each subnet is a good ideal if you wan to do so. easy to identity incase of issues

3) 30 revs will take lot of space but will make sure SEPM has enough definitions so that it can send delta if clients defs are outdated.

check this

When will a client download a full definition set from a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager or Group Update Provider?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH131528

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5

Posted Nov 11, 2014 06:30 AM

It's only for SEPM, has nothing to do with GUP

30 is default and recommended. Do you have many mobile clients?

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5

Posted Nov 11, 2014 07:48 PM

dear Brian

I dont have mobile client , can you create a topic about mobile client and tag me because want to deloy and control mobile client .

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5

Posted Nov 11, 2014 08:04 PM

dear Rafeeq

As you say so bandwith control of 12.1 Ru5 is not good, right ? if i limit to 40kb and 100 connection , so client connect to GUP will very slow and update time longer. Another face if i turn on option : after xx day the client will connect direct to SEPM + 40kb and 100 connection , is it will be bestter ?

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5

Posted Nov 11, 2014 08:22 PM

Not mobile clients like a phone, but roaming clients like laptops.