Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 RU5 Corrupting Yosemite

Posted Dec 11, 2014 02:19 PM

We have been running SEPM 12.1 RU5 for just over a month without any issues.  Recently we opened our campus for testing of Mac OS-X Yosemite 10.10.1. In order support the new OS, we needed to package and deploy the 12.1.5 client to Yosemite Users.  This seemed to be fine for the first few days, but I started to notice that when installed 12.1.5 and rebooting, some of the machines would become corrupted and show the flashing folder with a question mark.  The only fix seemed to be reinstalling Yosemite.

This didn't seem to happen for a few days and I thought we might be ok, but recently I had the same issue pop up.  Immediately after installing SEP, the user is prompted to restart their computer.  When they restart, the folder and question mark appears.  This has happend way too many times under this exact scenario for this to be a coincidence.  Has anyone else had any issues?  Anyone using Casper to deploy SEP 12.1.5 under Yosemite?

Joe

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5 Corrupting Yosemite

Posted Dec 11, 2014 02:44 PM

Haven't seen or heard of anything on here/ May want to call support to see what they know or have seen.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5 Corrupting Yosemite

Posted Dec 11, 2014 04:05 PM

Spoke with Symantec, there is a known issues with SEP 12.1.5 and Casper 9.6.  For the time being, we are being told not to use Casper to deploy 12.1.5 to your Mac clients.  This should make for a fun upgrade to Yosemite.

Joe

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5 Corrupting Yosemite

Posted Dec 12, 2014 04:28 AM

Sorry if I got this wrong, So 12.1.5 would work fine if Casper deployment is not used correct?

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5 Corrupting Yosemite

Posted Dec 12, 2014 07:59 AM

@Lumia@720, that is what Symantec Support is telling me.  I will be doing some further testing today to determine if that is indeed the case. 

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5 Corrupting Yosemite

Posted Dec 12, 2014 08:22 AM

Thank you...

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5 Corrupting Yosemite

Posted Dec 12, 2014 03:53 PM

A manual install seems to work just fine on my clients.  I have not however been able to successfully deploy SEP remotely to any of my Macs.  When I push out the client from the SEPM, I get an error in the workstation logs stating an administrative account is required.  I am baffled, as the server asks for the admin client credentials which I am supplying, and which it is failing on. 

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Joe

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5 Corrupting Yosemite

Posted Dec 14, 2014 03:30 PM

Try the steps in the following document to enable remote deployment to Mac machines:

Prepare computers to install the Endpoint Protection 12.1 client

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5 Corrupting Yosemite

Posted Dec 15, 2014 11:36 AM

All of my clients already have those settings correctly configured, it is still failing.

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU5 Corrupting Yosemite
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 11, 2015 03:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.  It turns out there were a number of issues occuring on our end that took a long time to track down. 

- There is supposedly an issue with SEP and Casper, but it appears to deploy just fine after repackaging and testing.  

- I found a legacy script running that would resize the hard drive and delete the recovery partition.  SEP and this policy were triggering at the same time and would cause the hard drive to become corrupted.  If pushed individually and rebooted, neither policy would cause issues, only when run at the same time.

The only remaining issue is SEP blocking RECON.  We are currently working on this issue.