Video Screencast Help

SEP 12.1 scan task Insight not working

Created: 10 Jul 2011 • Updated: 12 Jul 2011 | 3 comments

I set the scan job, I make the Insight Level 9 I run a scan
and the program does not detect anything during the scan Norton Power Eraser files are detected
I join the archive to test password: test 

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

ᗺrian's picture

Maybe there is nothing malicious there. Are you expecting something to show up?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

pete_4u2002's picture

can you submit those files to Symantec to get it verified if it's FP from Norton Power Eraser or SEP still do not have the information

Paul Murgatroyd's picture

So firstly, Insight Lookup during a scan will only work on in memory processes, not all files scanned.

Secondly, if you wish to Insight Lookup an individual file you can do that by right clicking the file and scanning it - an Insight Lookup will also be performed at the same time.  If you right click and scan a folder, Insight Lookup will not be performed (this is to minimise bandwidth usage).  You should note though that for Insight Lookup to convict a file it has to be KNOWN BAD rather than just had a bad reputation.

Thirdly, I extracted your zip and two thirds of the files were quarantined by SEP using standard AV signatures.

Fourthly, I internally submitted all the hashes of the remaining files to Insight and every one came back as a BAD reputation file with varying levels of confidence.  This means that they would be blocked from being downloaded with our default settings.

Paul Murgatroyd
Principal Product Manager, Symantec Endpoint Protection
Endpoint twitter feed: http://twitter.com/symc_endpoint