Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 - SEP Install Causing Uninstall/Install of Other Applications to be Slow

Posted Feb 25, 2014 10:51 AM

I am running into an interesting problem and it seems as if SEP is somehow interfereing or negatively impacting install/uninstall operations in Windows 7. I've run a number of examples and it seems like installers work just fine prior to SEP being installed, but once SEP has been installed installers and uninstallers seem to hang for a longer than usual amount of time. Has anyone else run into this before? I am not sure where to start troubleshooting this as it seems very odd. Current SEP version is 12.1.3001.165. I am currently testing 12.1.4013.4013 in development. This is specifically happening with MSI based installers and NOT exe based installers. 

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 - SEP Install Causing Uninstall/Install of Other Applications to be Slow

Posted Feb 25, 2014 10:53 AM

What components do you have installed?

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 - SEP Install Causing Uninstall/Install of Other Applications to be Slow

Posted Feb 25, 2014 11:27 AM

On our workstations we have the full component set installed

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 - SEP Install Causing Uninstall/Install of Other Applications to be Slow

Posted Feb 25, 2014 11:38 AM

When you say there's a delay, do you mean you run the MSi and there's a 10-20sec gap before anything appears on-screen, but everything runs fine afterwards (i.e. no slow down)?

If so, then it might be running an insight lookup.  To test, you may want to create a new group with the Insight Lookups option disabled in the "External Communications Settings", and pop a test machine in there (making sure the policy seril numbers and whatnot match up).

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 - SEP Install Causing Uninstall/Install of Other Applications to be Slow

Posted Feb 25, 2014 01:52 PM

The behavior is as such:

Pre-SEP:

1. Kick off installer
    2. Walk though options
    3. Finalize options, select go
    4. Wait a few seconds
    5. Install completes.

Post-SEP

1. Kick off installer
    2. Walk through options
    3. Finalize options, select go
    4. Wait a few seconds
    5. Progress bar stalls completely around partially through installation
    6. ~ 5 minute later progress bar finally continues
    7. Install completes.

Very strange behavior.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 - SEP Install Causing Uninstall/Install of Other Applications to be Slow

Posted Feb 25, 2014 01:58 PM

Can't say I've seen this before. Can you disable AP to test the behavior for the install than re-enable when done?

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 - SEP Install Causing Uninstall/Install of Other Applications to be Slow

Posted Feb 25, 2014 04:04 PM

Sorry Brian. AP? Active Protection?

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 - SEP Install Causing Uninstall/Install of Other Applications to be Slow

Posted Feb 25, 2014 04:08 PM

Auto-Protect ;)

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1 - SEP Install Causing Uninstall/Install of Other Applications to be Slow

Posted Feb 25, 2014 04:08 PM

its called Autoprotect..or File System Autoprotect you can see that under Antivirus and antispyware policy.

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1 - SEP Install Causing Uninstall/Install of Other Applications to be Slow

Posted Feb 25, 2014 04:20 PM

Derp, will do.