Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 unable to download Definition

Posted Oct 16, 2014 08:20 AM

Hi Guys,

I checked on macines running with SEP 12.1 which do not update definitions, I was able to find the following message in lue log "Won't go for explicit DNS Query". It is happening on both Win XP & Win 7.

We have configured SEP to download definitions from Liveupdate Administrator.

When I do a nslookup, the endpoint computer name gives me an IP where reverse lookup for the IP gives me someother computer name which proves that the computer has DNS issue.

My Question is - Is there a document released that SEP 12.1 will not be able to update definitions if a machine has DNS issue - both NS & reverse lookup?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 unable to download Definition

Posted Oct 16, 2014 08:25 AM

Did you check to see what's going on with DNS? Need to get that fixed first.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 unable to download Definition

Posted Oct 16, 2014 08:31 AM

@Brian,

Its just not on 1 or 2 machines. We have 1000+. Hence I would require a valid document that explains DNS resolution is mandatory for SEP 12.1. In SEP 11.0 LU was a seperate component which runs luall.exe. But in SEP 12.1 LUE has been integrated with the client.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 unable to download Definition

Posted Oct 16, 2014 08:34 AM

So did this issue just start with 12.1? Did it just start and was 12.1 working prior?

SEP connects to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.comliveupdate.symantec.com, and akamai.net. The IPs for these are not static so without DNS, it can't resolve these. I don't think there is a specific doc on it

Per this doc:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH139451

Note: Symantec does not supply IP addresses for Symantec LiveUpdate servers. The server addresses are not static and, consequently, routing directly to an IP address may cause LiveUpdate to fail.

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 unable to download Definition

Posted Oct 16, 2014 10:51 AM

Then if agreed the change mechanism between SEP 11.0 & 12.1 caused the issue considering DNS plays a major role in downloading deifnition for SEP 12.1

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 unable to download Definition

Posted Oct 16, 2014 10:53 AM

SEP has always relied on DNS to ge tto LU

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 unable to download Definition

Posted Oct 16, 2014 10:56 AM

Perfect... So in that case doesn't it require a public document???

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1 unable to download Definition

Posted Oct 16, 2014 10:59 AM

Why would it? Without DNS, nothing can resolve, which you're experiencing so you know the pain of this. If you're needing further insight, I'd suggest calling them to open a support case.