Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 : VMWare Player Network settings issue

Posted Sep 11, 2014 03:36 AM

Dear Team,

I have VMWare Player installed with Red Hat Linux as Guest VM.  Currently, the VMware Network Configuration is set to “bridged” mode.

What works:

1. Ping to VM from local and remote host.
    2. SSH from the host to Guest VM IP

What does not work:

1. 1.    SSH from remote host to Guest VM IP

For our project, we need to have remote connectivity to the Guest VM from our network for working with the Customer product.

From Google search, it appears that this limitation was observed by other users as well and have been raised as queries.

Based on the inputs provided in the URL below, I updated the network card associated with VMnet0 to appropriate one instead of the default automatic value.

http://www.serverwatch.com/server-tutorials/how-to-fix-a-vmware-player-bridged-network.html

Similar information is discussed in other URLs. But, remote SSH to VMware Guest VM IP is still unsuccessful.

My desktop IP: 10.105.133.76

Remote Desktop IP: 10.105.133.80

VM IP: 10.105.133.85

This is important and needs to be resolved quickly for the team to work with the VM.

The thing is that if i stop the SMC service, all works fine, but when SEP is running, im not able to ssh. I checked the NTP logs and I see that a connection uses multicast address to reach the destination.Couldnt figure out where the issue is.

Kindly support and provide inputs for resolving this issue asap.  Your inputs will be highly valuable. Thanks !!

regards,

Karthik

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 : VMWare Player Network settings issue

Posted Sep 12, 2014 12:42 PM

Sounds like the firewall is blocking it. It may be hitting the rule "Block all other traffic and don't log"

Have you tried creating a new rule to allow traffic to/from the guest?

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 : VMWare Player Network settings issue

Posted Sep 12, 2014 01:16 PM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have added a new rule at the TOP to allow traffic between the hosts and also the weird issue I see is that I am trying to SSH and wen I add the rule for port 22, it doesnt work, but if I open up the rule to allow all ports(ANY) it works fine. Not sure why and where the problem is, though these IP's are in the same network. Pls suggest. Thanks !!

regards,

Karthik

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 : VMWare Player Network settings issue

Posted Sep 12, 2014 01:23 PM

Can you share a screenshot of your rule? Sanitize the IP or host as needed.