Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 vs. IU 5.x vs. WXPP Czech

Posted Feb 20, 2012 04:16 PM

I’ve just upgraded SEP from 11.x to 12.1 on several stand-alone computers (not in a LAN, without internet access) running Windows XP Prof., SP3, Czech. I used to update virus definitions on these computers by means of IU – Intelligent updater (now in version 5.x). However no luck with SEP 12.1. IU reports that it has found compatible product and successfully updated it, but the definitions remain old. The problem is obviously in the change of location/path of virus definitions.

They are stored in the path beginning as „C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Applications Data\Symantec Endpoint Protection\...“ (in Czech version of WXPP: „C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Data aplikací\Symantec Endpoint Protection\...“).  But the IU probably uses other code page (CP852 vs. CP 1250) and extracts the definitions to the path beginning as „C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Data aplikacÝ\Symantec Endpoint Protection\...“, so that SEP 12.1 won’t notice them.

Is there any way to overcome this incompatibility or to manually update virus definitions on these computers? The information given in UPDATE.TXT is obsolete.

Thank you.

Petr Rejfir

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 vs. IU 5.x vs. WXPP Czech

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 20, 2012 09:38 PM

did you try jdb file to update?

How to update definitions for Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager using a JDB file

http://symantec.com/docs/TECH102607

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 vs. IU 5.x vs. WXPP Czech

Posted Feb 20, 2012 11:42 PM

Hi Rejfir,

Follow the below steps:

1. Go to Google page

2. Type Rapid Release

3. Select   symrapidreleasedefsv5i32.exefor 32 bit machine 

4. for 64 bit symrapidreleasedefsv5i64.exe

5. Download .exe file and run non-internet pc

6.     One’s installation completed

7. Restart the pc

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 vs. IU 5.x vs. WXPP Czech

Posted Feb 24, 2012 03:28 PM

But .jdb files are for updating SEP Manager. I have only SEP 12.1 installed on the computer, no SEPM.

Petr Rejfir

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 vs. IU 5.x vs. WXPP Czech

Posted Feb 24, 2012 03:30 PM

I tried it before, no luck, the same behaviour as with regular IU files - definitions.

Petr Rejfir

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1 vs. IU 5.x vs. WXPP Czech

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 24, 2012 11:35 PM

to update the client using the jdb file

check this link

How to manually update definitions for a managed Symantec Endpoint Protection Client using the .jdb file

http://symantec.com/docs/TECH104363

The client should update using the Intelligent updater as well. What error did you see?

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1 vs. IU 5.x vs. WXPP Czech

Posted Feb 28, 2012 11:29 AM

Hi Pete,

I’ve just tried to follow the instructions in suggested link http://symantec.com/docs/TECH104363.

I installed SEP 12.1 to my test computer (WXPH, SP3, 32bit, Czech).

Then I followed the instructions in TECH104363:

• points 1-5 were irrelevant in my environment (unmanaged SEP 12.1 on standalone comp)         
    • point 6: there was no inbox folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Data aplikací\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\ but I found it both in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Data aplikací\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.1000.157.105 and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Data aplikací\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\CurrentVersion folders
    • point 7: I downloaded current jdb file -  http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/jdb/vd38b622.jdb for SEPM installations on Windows platforms (32-bit), verified it OK (by unzipping) and renamed it .zip to .jdb.
    • point 8: when I copied vd38b622.jdb to either of above mentioned inbox folder, it was automatically copied to …inbox\invalid\ folder and the change was reflected to other inbox folder
    • point 9: ... and of course nothing happened and SEP remained not updated.

Any suggestions ?

Petr