Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Mohan Babu

Mohan BabuAug 01, 2012 11:06 PM

• 1.  SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Posted Jul 27, 2012 01:46 PM

After my previous post, with the difficulty getting the SEP Manager installed; I decided it would be best to do a test on a few select clients before doing the remote push to my entire network. I was able to get the client installed easily on the first two clients; the one where the manager is installed, and one for the remote push. When I got to the second remote client, I ran into several problems. I was able to get the software pushed; however, when I sent the remote command to restart the computer, it was never received. I also checked the status of the computer afterward, and found that the install failed, and was rolled back. I have attempted the install several times, always with the same results.

The client is a Windows 7 Professional machine, just like one of the ones I have successfully installed. I have completely removed all antivirus software from the remote client - it had Norton Antivirus 2012. Do I need to also remove or disable Windows Defender? I had checked the option for the remote push to remove any additional antivirus software, which was supposed to remove this.

The only other difference that I can think of; which I don't know why it would make a difference is; this client is a laptop connected by way of a docking station.

Can anyone give some advice?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Posted Jul 27, 2012 10:36 PM

Follow the steps and try to push the client:

How to prepare computers to install Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 client software

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163112

If possible kindly upload the 

SEP_INST.log inside the temp folder on the client computer.

Mark them accordingly if ur issue resolved...

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 27, 2012 11:25 PM

pass on the sep_inst.log from the client machine..

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 28, 2012 12:50 PM

Hello,

In your case, the package has been successfully transferred to the machine and it has failed to install on the Windows 7 machine.....it clearly means that there is something on the client machine which has caused to the installation to rollback.

It is advisable to upload the Sep_Inst.log from %temp%, which would assist us to find the root cause.

Secondly, Could you please let us know if the UAC is disabled on the client machine? Also, what does the Application Error under Event viewer on this machine state?

Awaiting your reply.

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:29 PM
      |   view attached

I had followed all the directions prescribed for preparing a client for the SEP installation. I had already installed the client on two computers successfully, and I was wanting to do the push on two additional ones (one each for Windows XP and Windows 7) prior to attempting the push for my entire network.

I have had the same thing happen on a Windows XP machine, with identical results. I did not have the UAC turned off on the Windows 7 machine before, so I deactivated it and tried the push again, and the results were the same; again.

Another thing I have noticed about the Windows 7 machine; it never seems to create a SEP_INST.log file on the client computer. It did create the file on the Windows XP computer; which I am attaching for you to review (saved as .docx file).

Attachment(s)

docx
    SEP_INST_4.docx   141 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Posted Jul 30, 2012 01:21 PM

After I posted the previous reply, I happened to think of something else that might have an impact on what I am working with. I am also preparing my clients for a migration to a new server. I am going from a current Novell 6.5 server, to a hosted Windows 2008 server.

Do you know if there is a problem with compatibility, trying to push the SEP installation over an old Novell network? If there is, is there a workaround, of should I just wait until after our migration to the Windows server?

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Posted Jul 30, 2012 06:48 PM

Log findings:

MSI (s) (50:70) [11:13:35:031]: Product: Symantec Endpoint Protection -- Error 1308. Source file not found: C:\TEMP\Clt-Inst\CommonAppData\Symc\Name\Version\Data\BASH\BASHOpts.bak.  Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

Try to install locally on the computer it fails.

Are you using local administreator to install SEP? If not , try using that account.

If that does not work use the Latest version of  cleanwipe to uninstall the product  and install the software.

Try to login to the Domain Admin and access the SEPM to push thae package for mutilple clients.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 31, 2012 02:14 PM

Hello,

Upon checking your Logs, we see the following - 

Error 1308. Source file not found: C:\TEMP\Clt-Inst\CommonAppData\Symc\Name\Version\Data\BASH\BASHOpts.bak.  Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

Check these Threads - 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/client-deployment-failed-1

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-12-error-1308-source-file-not-found-sepliveupdateexe

Hope that helps!!

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Posted Jul 31, 2012 05:15 PM

I followed these two threads all the way through. They had some very good pointers, but I had already attempted most of them. The main one I had not, was the one for running the update.bat for the SEP Manager. I copied all of the specified files, then when I attempted to run the bat file, I could not find it. If I knew what was supposed to be in it, I could create it and run it; but I don't know what is supposed to be in it.

Any further guidance is appreciated.

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Posted Jul 31, 2012 08:02 PM

Go to the Directory C:\Program files\Symantec\Symantec Endpont Protection Manager\Bin 

You can find the upgrade.bat file. Run it 

• 11.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Aug 01, 2012 07:20 AM

Hello,

Upgrade.bat could be found in 

C:\Program files\Symantec\Symantec Endpont Protection Manager\Bin 

OR

C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin

Hope that helps!!

• 12.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Posted Aug 01, 2012 09:08 AM

I had seen that file, but the instructions noted the file was supposed to be in the C:\Program files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager folder, so I did not think I should run the one located in the bin folder. I will go ahead and process that one and post the results later this morning. Thanks.

• 13.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Posted Aug 01, 2012 09:51 AM

This is an update to the previous Upgrade.bat entry. I ran the batch file. It ran successfully; however, all of the upgrades indicated that they were already applied to my version. I then attempted to push the client again, and received the same results.

It looks like my only alternative is going to be to log into each of my remote computers individually,and install the SEP one at a time with the stand-alone file I have created. For all of my local cpmputers, I will have to just go to each of them and do the same thing.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and help; but when nothing seems to work, it is best to move on to the next method. Thanks.

• 14.  RE: SEP 12.1.1 Client Remote Push

Posted Aug 01, 2012 11:06 PM

They can provide you the workaround.