Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Migration User

Migration UserJan 07, 2013 12:42 PM

ℬrίαη

ℬrίαηJan 07, 2013 01:00 PM

• 1.  SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 11:44 AM

We installed an SVA but missed the IP address configuration piece in the SVA_InstallSetting.xml.  So we are trying to figure out how to change the address and netowrk settings without uninstallind the SVA and reinstalling it.  Does anyone know if this is possible and how we would go about it?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 11:51 AM

You can set this in the SVA_InstallSettings.xml file

<vCenter>
    <ip_address>192.168.x.x</ip_address>
    <username>username</username>
    <!--
    <password>password</password>
    -->
    </vCenter>

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 11:55 AM

Hi,

Check this Artical hope this help

Configuring the Symantec Endpoint Protection Security Virtual Appliance installation settings file

Article:HOWTO81082  |  Created: 2012-10-24  |  Updated: 2012-10-27  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81082

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:00 PM

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:15 PM

OK maybe I was not clear...We did use the SVA_InstallSetting.xml during the install and missed that settings for the Network/IP address so the SVA is now setup with DHCP and we want a static address.  How do we accomplish this after it has been installed.  We have looked at the links above and none of them explain how to do this once the SVA is installed.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:17 PM

Thanks Brian but as I stated in the first post we missed it in the xml file and now we have an SVA that is configured with DHCP and we want a static IP.  

Can we rerun the SVA_InstallSettings.xml file again is that what you are saying?

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:19 PM

I have read this HowTo.  It does not explaing how to CHANGE the IP once it is set fo the SVA.  How do we change the IP in an SVA?

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:19 PM

What does the line I copied above look like in your settings? Just editing the file with the IP address you want to use should suffice.

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:20 PM

Thanks but this doc does not explain how to change the IP address once it is set in the SVA.  Do you know how to do this?

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:25 PM

Again WE DID NOT EDIT THIS LINE when we installed the SVA it is now up and running with DHCP and we need to change it to a static IP address.  How do you do this once you have installed the SVA?  Do we have to uninstall the SVA and then reinstall it with the correct setting the xml file or is there a way to change the address after it has been installed.  I would think that there is way to do this for folks that are changing from DHCP to static or visa-versa.

• 11.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:27 PM
    you need to edit the settings.xml again to enter the static IP.

• 12.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:37 PM

Edit it with a text editor with the IP address you want to use.

• 13.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:39 PM

Hi,

If you not received your answer better you will be raised support ticket for same.

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58873

How to Create and Validate a SymAccount for using Symantec's MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31127

How to update a support case and upload diagnostic files with MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71023

• 14.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:41 PM

Brian I understand how to edit the xml file we had to do that for the rest of the install...You do not understand what I am asking.  Is there a way to cahnge the IP address after we have run the install with the xml file or do we need to uninstall the SVA and then reinstall it with the correct setting in the xml file.  If you cannot understand what I am asking please refrain from responding.  It really is simple what I am trying to find out.

• 15.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:42 PM

Then do you need to rerun the install?

• 16.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:49 PM

Your asking how to change the IP address after you've already run the install. You need to edit the xml file. Seems pretty simple to me. Yes, re-run the installation

Hopefully someone on here can interpret what you're asking than.

Good luck to you.

• 17.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:53 PM

A better question here is does the SVA read the xml file everytime it reboots?  If not how do you get the SVA to read the xml file to change the IP once we edit the xml file?  I guess this is the part that I am not understanding fully.

• 18.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 12:56 PM

That is the part that you were not explaining just editing the file did not make any sense.  Getting a full explaination to the process makes all the sense in the world.  Thank you we will give this a try.

• 19.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 01:00 PM

My fault. It's Monday, I'm still waking up.

• 20.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 07, 2013 02:07 PM

No worries as soon as we try this I'll let you know how it worked!  Thanks for the Help!

• 21.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 23, 2013 11:35 PM

Hey Kupper24

What did you do to resolve - I too, have done the same thing and want to change the ip address.  Did you end up uninstalling and reinstalling with a new xml file that had the ip address etc in it?

Thanks

• 22.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 24, 2013 09:19 AM

T0n1K,

Yes you will need to edit the xml file and enter the missing network information then re-run the install which Brian81 states.  This will go pretty quick.  Hope this helps.

"Your asking how to change the IP address after you've already run the install. You need to edit the xml file.  Yes, re-run the installation" Brian81.

Kupper24

• 23.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 Security Virtual Appliance - How do I change the IP address of an SVA?

Posted Jan 24, 2013 09:20 AM
    Thanks everyone for the help. By editing the xml again and adding the IP and the rest of the network info then re-running the install this fixes the issue.