Video Screencast Help

SEP 12.1.2 - Setup hangs when changing protection level on servers (at least)

Created: 07 Jan 2013 | 1 comment

Noticed a bit of an issue this morning.  We deployed SEP 12.1.2 over this past weekend and due to human error - the 'Full Protection for Clients' option was installed onto some of our core servers.  (Symptoms included DHCP not servicing client requests, etc.)

As I've done before, I went immidiately to the SEPM console and edited the deployment package to change the protection level for this group to the 'Basic Protection for Servers' option with 0 day deployment randomization. (few servers, all on local LAN).  This typically causes SEP to fire up setup.exe and msiexec.exe and silently make any necessary changes.  In the past this has worked flawlessly.

So, wanting to ensure that production servers didn't automatically reboot due to SEP setup without being able to coordinate with users, I logged into 2 of them to monitor for the update to occur and delay the reboot prompt that appears if a user is logged in.  After prompting the SEP client to update policy, I am noticing that SETUP.exe launches and 3 instances of msiexec.exe launch, then ...nothing.  Those processes sit at 0% CPU usage.

• So far, the only commonality is they are all 64 bit OS (Win. Svr. Std.).
  • After a clean reboot the same setup/msiexec processes begin again and never complete.

I have manually uninstalled and redeployed these clients.

• Delete the client install package for the group in question at SEPM
  • Restart any servers having begun the installation process to cancel setup/msiexec
  • Manually uninstall SEP Client
  • Redeploy Clean SEP Client install from SEPM

Manual re-deployment succeeded without issue.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else is experiencing and/or can re-create this scenario.

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

After setup.exe finished, did you open the SEP GUI to confirm they were removed? Did you reboot after the setup.exe finished?

When NTP/PTP are removed, a reboot is needed.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.