Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1.2 for windows servers

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:39 AM

Hi,

Do we need to reboot the server if we have push  insatlled the package to server ?

I used the below settings :

Install feature set : basic protection for servers

Install settings : servers

Push install was successful and i see the symantec shield with green dot.it didn't ask for a restart ,is it recommended to restart the server ,even it didn't ask for

a reboot ?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 for windows servers

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:41 AM

If only AV component installed (fresh install), than no reboot should be needed, however, it's always good to reboot just to be safe but it's not necessarily required with 12.1 and only the AV component being installed.

Now if you were installing NTP (fw and IPS) then you would need a reboot or if you were upgrading from 11.x to 12.1 as reboot is needed as well.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 for windows servers

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:47 AM

if its only AV/AS then no reboot required

reboot required for Network threat protection component to show up. 

You can postpone the reboot. However good to reboot whenever you get the chance.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 for windows servers

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:49 AM

on the server it shows only "virus and spyware protection" installed.( when i was on call with symantec tech ,he said it is recommended to install only this component on the server, i mean basic installation for servers).

If we install other two components what are the implications and why is it not recommended to install on the servers ?

so ,should i need to reboot the server ?

Thanks

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 for windows servers
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:53 AM

Since you only installed AV than a reboot is not mandatory. The other two components are supported and can be installed as well. See here:

Best Practices for Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) on Windows Servers

Article:TECH92440  |  Created: 2009-01-18  |  Updated: 2013-09-13  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH92440

Installing NTP will require a reboot because the firewall driver needs to be added into the stack.

More time should be taken to test NTP, specifically the firewall because it may block important communication, such as if you install on DC or mail server. The default ruleset is pretty good but yo umay need to add additional rules to allow communication.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1.2 for windows servers

Posted Oct 22, 2013 10:59 AM

You can install all the components no problem.

NTP is the firewall componet, you should be careful while installing and applying rules, most of the times its first recommended to test that first in test mode then move that to prod. thats why he would have suggested you to install only AV/AS, once you are familliar with the product and with the firewall rules, you can install all of them...:)