Video Screencast Help

SEP 12.1.2015 (2015) Policy Managed Auto Protect Disable

Created: 19 Jul 2013 | 4 comments

Hello,

I've been noticing that when I'm working on Macintosh computer backing up or copying files SEP Auto Protect is running on the files slowing down my work.

The Macs here are centrally managed and I'd like Auto Protect to run, yet as an admin I'd like to be able to disable Auto Protect so that I can work more quickly.

Is there any way to do this?

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

_Brian's picture

in the AV policy, under Mac Settings, set the lock icon to open but leave the box checked. This way auto-protect will be active but you will have the ability to disable if needed.

Keep in mind that users will be able to disable.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Correct. You make the changes in the SEPM >> Virus and Spyware Protection Policy >> Mac, check the screenshot below:

Keep the Auto-protect policy Unlocked (by default it is unlocked) and assign to the correct group.

In case, you need this policy to be applied to only your machine, you can create a new group with only machine reporting to it and then assign this policy to the same group.

Autoprotect.JPG

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

sandra.g's picture

Are you moving/backing up compressed files? If so, I would suggest unchecking "Scan compressed files" (see Mithun's screenshot, above) so that Auto-Protect does not try to decompress and scan them as they are written to their new location. (That process does take time, as you might imagine.) Auto-Protect will scan any of the archive's contents when uncompressed and the contents written to disk, so you are not putting your system at risk.

I definitely do not recommend disabling Auto-Protect on a long-term basis as that could pose a security risk.

sandra

Symantec, Information Developer
Installation, Migration, Deployment and Patching
User Protection & Productivity, Endpoint Protection

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'solved' with the answer that best help

Layne_Staley's picture

I'm manually imaging a machine backup using Carbon Copy Cloner...

I think disabling it on the local machine and re-enabling when done should work.

Thanks.