Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1.3 Manager updating virus definitions very slowly using GUPs

Posted Jan 16, 2014 06:42 AM

Hey,

SEPM with some remote sites set up using GUPs. For the last three days a total of 400 clients out of 1200 have been updated using GUPs. The virus defs on the SEPM are up to date and the 10 GUPs in use are alos up to date with definitions. I can telnet 2967 on all GUPs.

Does anyone know why updating clients from the GUPs is taking so long? It is painfully slow. Some of the links are 2MB but delta updates is all that are going out so I didn't expect it to take so long.

Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated as I have tried everything I can to sort this out. I thought to create a forum thread here before maybe contacting Symantec.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.3 Manager updating virus definitions very slowly using GUPs

Posted Jan 16, 2014 06:44 AM

Are the clients on the same subnet as the GUP?

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.3 Manager updating virus definitions very slowly using GUPs

Posted Jan 16, 2014 06:45 AM

Yes Brian....

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.3 Manager updating virus definitions very slowly using GUPs

Posted Jan 16, 2014 06:48 AM

can you check if they are in pull mode or push mode?

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.3 Manager updating virus definitions very slowly using GUPs

Posted Jan 16, 2014 06:53 AM

Rafeeq, I have tried both modes over the last 3 days. Same result.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1.3 Manager updating virus definitions very slowly using GUPs

Posted Jan 16, 2014 07:58 AM

An analysis of sylink.log from a client having problems here would be needed to check for the cause of the problem - maybe there is some issue with clients getting the updates or applying the updates. On the GUP itself only factors that can influence the speed of distribution would be the limitation of incoming connections to GUP, max size of cached updates and possibility that clients are requesting full updates instead of deltas.

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1.3 Manager updating virus definitions very slowly using GUPs
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 16, 2014 10:39 AM

Hey,

Got sorted. It basically had to do with the explicit GUP configuration subnets being set up incorrectly. Thanks.