Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1.4 MP1 install failing on Surface Tablet Win8.1

Posted Jul 31, 2014 07:03 PM
      |   view attached

Hoping for some advice on this issue -

Attempting to install SEP 12.1.4. MP1 onto a Surface tablet running Win8.1 and it keeps failing.
    From what I've read this should be supported and no different to an install on a regular PC.

OS: Windows 8.1 - up to date, has a few optional updates but everything else is patched.

Attempt 1: Got about 15 seconds into the install and advises something interupted in the install... lovely...
    Fix: Read up and was recommended to disable Windows Defender and check for KB2781197.
    Patch was not present so disabled Defender and now the install actually proceeds.

Attempt 2: Proceeds with installing the files etc but halfway through it suddenly says "Rolling Back" and seems to keep on installing and starting services etc. but ultimately ends in failure.
    Troubleshooting: 

• Disable UAC
    • Disable Windows Defender (already disabled)
    • Disable Windows Firewall
    • Run Symantec CleanWipe_12.1.4100.4126 and restart machine.

Same thing occurs, halfway through... Rolling Back.

You can find the install log file attached to this post.
    Hopefully someone can pinpoint what's causing it to fail.

Been having to use cleanwipe more frequently with brand new machines post imaging where the SEP installation reports it has completed successfully, even does the liveupdates but then if you go to change part of the installed packages or uninstall it, it's completely broken, usually "Teefer" installer crashes. Not very impressed... Never had this many issues with previous builds in image deployments.

Cheers,
    Mark.

Attachment(s)

txt
    SIS_INST.LOG_.txt   5.35 MB 1 version

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.4 MP1 install failing on Surface Tablet Win8.1

Posted Aug 01, 2014 12:45 PM

IS there a SEP_INST.log as well you can post?

On the off chance see if these apply

Certificate error occurs when attempting to install or upgrade Symantec Endpoint Protection

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH218029

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU4 installation or migration on Windows fails due to outdated root certificate

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217284

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.4 MP1 install failing on Surface Tablet Win8.1

Posted Aug 01, 2014 01:02 PM

I'm sure I can, but the user is off on leave now for a week.
    I will look into the cert stuff when they are back in the office and if that doesn't resolve it I'll find SEP_INST.log and post it up.

Cheers,
    Mark.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.4 MP1 install failing on Surface Tablet Win8.1

Posted Aug 01, 2014 01:08 PM

from the log it says

[StartService] StartService() failed for service 'SYMTDI' with error 0x0000001F.

0x0000001F means: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

if you have any mapped drive , unmapp that try the install.

always make sure that there is no third party AV software installed. was there any?

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.4 MP1 install failing on Surface Tablet Win8.1

Posted Aug 01, 2014 02:54 PM
    Log. Finding.failed for service 'SYMTDI' with error 0x0000001F same as rafeeq found One of similar error pl check this article Failed for service 'SYMTDI' with error 0x000005AA Article:TECH175283 | Created: 2011-11-23 | Updated: 2012-08-26 | Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175283