Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1.4013 causes tlist.exe to hang

Posted Jul 09, 2014 02:35 PM

I have tried searching here and the general internet for this and have come up with nothing.

After I install SEP 12.1.4013 client on a Windows Server 2008 machine the MS program of tlist.exe will not function correctly - it just hangs.

Once I uninstall SEP and reboot, tlist.exe will run as intended.

Has this been observed by anyone else?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.4013 causes tlist.exe to hang

Posted Jul 09, 2014 02:36 PM

Did you add this file to the exception list?

Excluding a file or a folder from scans

What components are installed?

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.4013 causes tlist.exe to hang

Posted Jul 09, 2014 02:43 PM

Yes.

I have went as far as excluding the file itself and the folder and all sub contents as well.

It is a basic install of the SEP package, nothing twisted or odd. Other than everything is set to LOG only if something is found by any component. And there is nothing of the program getting blocked or a response to it in any of the SEP logs, either on the client or the SEPM.

Oddly enough, If I select the icon in the Systray and Select Disable Symantec Endpoint Protection the file will still hang when executed.

If I uninstall SEP and reboot the tlist file works as intended.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.4013 causes tlist.exe to hang

Posted Jul 09, 2014 02:48 PM

Have you tested it out with only the AV component installed?

I'm wondering if it could either be the application and device control component or possibly proactive threat protection.

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.4013 causes tlist.exe to hang

Posted Jul 09, 2014 02:55 PM

No I have not as I need those components also installed, eventually.

I will try changing the install package, but for what it's worth, I have disabled both application and device control component and  proactive threat protection in my testing and the issue still remains.

I have used SEP in one form or another for the last 12 years so I have exhausted every avenue I have for resources and ideas.

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1.4013 causes tlist.exe to hang

Posted Jul 09, 2014 02:59 PM

Best bet is to call support than. They will have you run the symhelp tool with advanced debugging turned on while re-producing the issue so they can troubleshoot and get to the root cause.

I wouldn't just disable them though, I would fully remove the components then re-test. I understand you need them but if you can narrow it to one component it will give a better idea of what the problem may be.