Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1.5 Small Business Edition - no 'Advanced' button under Auto-Protect settings

Posted Mar 25, 2015 06:05 AM

Hi,

We have a Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5 Small Business Edition in SEPM managed mode managed from our server.

Since upgrading from version SEP 11.x to this performance appears to be suffering considerably and backup with Backup Exec 2012 is now taking much longer to complete a backup, nearly twice as long

I see that there are supposedly options which I ought to be able to adjust via policy in SEPM for Auto-Protect -> Advanced turn of scanning of files being backed up and several other options.

But I see that there is no Advanced button in this Small Business Edition ?

Are these options elsewhere ? or can they not be controlled ?

I see some folks say that these options can only be managed in registry with Small Business Edition but that this only works in unmanaged mode and not managed mode where they are overwritten following a reboot.

What can I do ?  ..apart from ditch Small Businness Edition and go to Enterprise Edition ?

Mike

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Small Business Edition - no 'Advanced' button under Auto-Protect settings

Posted Mar 25, 2015 06:08 AM

SBE doesn't have all of the same options as the Enterprise version. You may be able to make changes to the registry but I would suggest contacting support for this piece.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Small Business Edition - no 'Advanced' button under Auto-Protect settings

Posted Mar 25, 2015 06:12 AM

That option not available SBE edition.

See Chetan and Mithun below articles

Feature comparison between SEP 12.1 SBE and EE

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/feature-comparison-between-sep-121-sbe-and-ee

Difference between Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1, Symantec Endpoint Protection SBE 2013 and Symantec Protection Suite SBE

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/difference-between-symantec-endpoint-protection-121-symantec-endpoint-protection-sbe-2013-a

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Small Business Edition - no 'Advanced' button under Auto-Protect settings

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 25, 2015 03:23 PM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

But I see that there is no Advanced button in this Small Business Edition ?

--> Small Business Edition has limited options compared to Enterprise Edition.

Are these options elsewhere ? or can they not be controlled ?

--> Few items are not controlled either way.

Small Business Edition is useful is there limited number of clients in the network. SBE supports upto 250 clients. If network setup is big then should go with Enterprise Edition. It provides all the available features.

I believe there is a cost difference between both the products.

Feature comparison between SEP 12.1 SBE and EE

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/feature-comparison-between-sep-121-sbe-and-ee

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Small Business Edition - no 'Advanced' button under Auto-Protect settings

Posted Aug 21, 2015 08:06 PM

Hi Mike,

I hope you've had a chance to resolve this issue by now. In case anyone else runs into the lack of advanced settings I thought I would share this information.

SEP Small Business Edition 12.1.5 comes with 3 default Virus and Spyware policies in the SEPM. The policy named "Virus and Spyware Protection policy - High Performance" is pre-configured with the "Scan when a file is backed up" option disabled. This option tends to give the greatest performance boost for backups.

In addition to this I would recommend making a folder exception for any Backup2Disk location.

-Shawn