View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Rafeeq

RafeeqFeb 17, 2015 03:13 PM

• 1.  SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 01:31 PM

Hello there -

This morning I've upgraded my two SEP managers to 12.1.5.  I used the same process as I always have (stopped services on both boxes, upgrade the first server, stop service, upgrade the second server - ensure services are running on both boxes).

After the upgrade I am unable to see any of my clients under the Clients Tab in SEPM.

The Home tab still has the information about the clients (Offline, out of date, etc) - and looking at each report I can see the names of my clients.

In the Clients Tab all of my groups are still there but they are empty.  Does anyone know what the issue here would be?

Thanks!

RT

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 01:32 PM

Does a search turn up anything? What if you force one client to check in? Does it have the green dot on the icon and show connected? When shutting off the service to do the upgrade, they will go offline but should not disappear from the copnsole.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 01:33 PM

I would suggest to repair the SEPM. Do they have replication as well? 

I think they might have fallen under My Company\Default group.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 01:46 PM

The two servers are not set up for replication.  The My Company\Default group is empty.

When I click on the Out of Date clients report on the Home tab it shows me a list of clients and reports what group they should be in.  When I go look at that group in the Clients tab it's completely empty.  When I do a search for that client within the group I get "There are no results for the selected criteria".

Right now the Endpoint Status chart on the Home Tab shows 685 Clients up to date and 859 Offline.  It seems they are slowly checking in but the groups in Clients are just not populating for some reason.

I can definitly do a repair on SEPM if that sounds like the answer.  I just find this is an odd situation and I'm worried about losing my whole enviroment.

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 01:54 PM

I didn't see this when upgradinga few different environments to 12.1.5. I assume no errors were thrown when upgrading and it completed as expected?

A repair won't hurt anything so it may be worth trying.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 02:23 PM

No errors came up during the install on either server.

I just tried doing a repair on SEP1 server and there was an error at the end of the repair:

Error:  Unable to access jarfile e:\SEPM\bin\inst.jar

The services will not start on that machine now so I am unable to access the SEPM console now.  I have not done the repair on my other server SEP2 so I am still able to access the console.

On SEP1 I am able to see the .jar in the location indicated.  I've tried the repair twice and got the same error both times so that server is out of commission at this point and SEP2 is still not showing clients.

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 02:24 PM

No errors came up during the install on either server.

I just tried doing a repair on SEP1 server and there was an error at the end of the repair:

Error:  Unable to access jarfile e:\SEPM\bin\inst.jar

The services will not start on that machine now so I am unable to access the SEPM console now.  I have not done the repair on my other server SEP2 so I am still able to access the console.

On SEP1 I am able to see the .jar in the location indicated.  I've tried the repair twice and got the same error both times so that server is out of commission at this point and SEP2 is still not showing clients.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 03:04 PM

I ran the upgrade on SEP1 again (not a repair through Control Panel) and I seem to be back to my normal broken state of clients not in groups.

I noticed that if I right click and choose properties on the groups it is telling me "Number of Physical Computers: 10".  So I think they're there, they're getting their polcies, I just can't see them.

And oddly it shows me how many pages it would need to display all of the clients - it's just not doing it.

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 03:09 PM

Do you have any filters enabled on the Client page? Does a search of the clients reveal anything?

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 03:13 PM
    Try restarting sepm service once

• 11.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 03:36 PM

No filters on any of the client groups.

The weird thing is the search feature is telling me there are no results.  I went to the front page got a computer name form the "Out of Date Client" report and the group it said it was in.  I ran a search against the group with that computer name and it's not finding any clients.

Yet going to properties on that group tells me that there are 36 computers in it.

I also opened up a case with Symantec but would be interested to hear if you or anyone else has anymore ideas. =)

• 12.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 03:37 PM

Thanks for the reply!  The service has been restarted a couple of times as well as the whole system being rebooted.  Issue is still present. =/

• 13.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 17, 2015 03:48 PM

Good call on the support case. Could be something on the DB end,

May be similar but I have two clients right now that are connected to the SEPM, getting  policy, and updating content but a search in the SEPM of them reveals nothing. They don't exist according to the SEPM.

Case has been opened as well so we shall see :) I suspect it's the DB.

• 14.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 18, 2015 12:19 AM

Kidnly keep this thread updated as it will help others. 

• 15.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 19, 2015 01:30 PM

After working with Symantec support my issue has been resolved and it the issue was with the DB.

We turned on verbose logging in tomcat and tried to add a computer to a client group - within the tomcat logs we were able to see undefined object errors returned from the SQL query.

Unfortunatly the fix was was to remove SEPM and reinstall it.  Luckily I was able to export most of my settings through the export domain command but I did lose my licenses, LDAP settings, and some of the administrators for some reason (added back maybe 1/3 of the admins I had defined).

All of my clients have been checking back in and everything looks good in the client group views now.

Thanks for working with me on this - I hope your resolution is a bit easier.

• 16.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Clients not Showing in SEPM

Posted Feb 19, 2015 01:31 PM

I responded to a comment above with the solution.  Hopefully if you're having the issue it's an easier fix for you - but overall it wasn't too bad.  Thanks!