Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Unexpected server error

Posted Nov 21, 2014 10:46 AM

I have upgraded 2 test environments from the last 12.1.4 release to 12.1.5. On the server running on MS 2008 R2 I have started getting lots of system event notifications. I get several Event type "An unexpected exception has occurred " with a description of "Unexpected server error. " and one that states an event type of "Server error " with a description of "Your hard disk space is less than <512>MB. Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager requires more disk space to complete certain tasks. Please delete some files to free up some space. Symantec recommends that you have a minimum of 1GB of free disk space. " . SEPM is installed on a partition with 59gb free, the OS partition has 8gb free. This didnt start until the upgrade. I am not having this issue on the test environment running MS server 08. Has anyone seen this issue, or have any advice on troubleshooting?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Unexpected server error

Posted Nov 21, 2014 10:48 AM

Enable FINEST debugging level and post the log here if possible:

How to debug the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Unexpected server error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2014 11:02 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

I would be glad to answer your query.

What's the SEPM DB size (sem5.db)? What's the difference between both the test environment because only one upgrade is affected? I would suggest to keep it under observation because as part of the upgrade to SEPM 12.1 RU5, the SEPM converts all of the content from full definitions to delta definitions. This process is resource intensive and may take an extended period of time. After this process is completed, the SEPM will use significantly less disk space.

In a typical enterprise setup where 30 content revisions stored, the SEPM upgrade process must reduce 55GB of full content to under 2GB of delta content. This process requires significant resources to complete and is impacted by the performance of any available CPUs, CPU cores (physical/logical/hyperthreading), memory, and disks (I/O). On a server that performs multiple roles, stores larger numbers of content, or is otherwise resource constrained, this process may take a longer duration to complete.

Refer this article to find more info: The LiveUpdate content optimization and content storage space optimization steps take a long time to complete when upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1 RU5

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH224055

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Unexpected server error

Posted Nov 21, 2014 11:05 AM

Can you try this?

simply change the properties of the SEPM and SEPM Webserver services to logon as local account.

Simillar thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sepm-claiming-there-not-enough-disk-space

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Unexpected server error

Posted Nov 21, 2014 12:37 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies! Ill try the webserver service change first and see if that resolves it first.

The db size is 6.9gb

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Unexpected server error

Posted Nov 24, 2014 11:23 AM
      |   view attached

The service credential change had no affect. Here is the log .Brian requested

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Unexpected server error
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 26, 2014 12:43 AM

2014-10-23 03:50:29.978 THREAD 130 SEVERE: Your hard disk space is less than <512>MB. Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager requires more disk space to complete certain tasks. Please delete some files to free up some space. Symantec recommends that you have a minimum of 1GB of free disk space.

Below article is base on your error. So please follow the instruction and apply the change.

Disk space errors since the upgrade to 12.1 RU5 and some features aren't working anymore

Article:TECH225967  | Created: 2014-11-03  | Updated: 2014-11-19  | Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH225967

Hope the information help you.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.1.5 Upgrade Unexpected server error

Posted Nov 26, 2014 03:57 PM

The above post appears to have resolved the issue. Thanks!