Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1.671 for Mac fails to liveupdate and auto protect is disabled

Posted Mar 04, 2015 11:37 AM

Hello,

I noticed Auto Protect was disabled on my Symantec End Point Protection 12.1.671 for Mac.  I tried to enable Auto Protect and got "Symantec Enpoint  Protection Error" message. See below picture

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 8.25.15 AM.png

Next I run Liveupdate as recommended, and get symantec error and recommendation to upgrade Java

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 8.29.24 AM.png

I ran Java update and have the latest version, but SEP keeps recommending I upgrade to latest version if though the Java website says I have the latest version. 

I would appreicate any recommendation on what to do next.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.671 for Mac fails to liveupdate and auto protect is disabled

Posted Mar 04, 2015 11:40 AM
    Maybe attempt to reinstall as this may be the fastest route

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.671 for Mac fails to liveupdate and auto protect is disabled

Posted Mar 05, 2015 06:08 AM

Check the symantec article

Error: "Norton AntiVirus Error: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect could not continue... (Code 10)" on startup with Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac or Norton Internet Security 4 for Mac installed

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v57780789_EndUserProfile_en_us

--edit--

May be the compatibility issue, Check the thread as well brian solution

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-antivirus-auto-protect-could-not-continue-error-code-11

OS X compatibility with Endpoint Protection for Mac

Article:TECH131045  | Created: 2010-01-17  | Updated: 2015-02-18  | Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH131045

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.671 for Mac fails to liveupdate and auto protect is disabled

Posted Mar 06, 2015 10:15 AM

Hi MartinChang,

SEP 12.1.671 for Mac is a really, really old release.  The SEP for Mac client has had some major enhancements and improvements that you have been missing out on- including an overhaul of the way that it retrieves definitions.

Overview for Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4 for Mac
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO92146

Install the latest release and see if that does not fix the problem! &: )

Please do update this thread with your progress.

Many thanks,

Mick

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1.671 for Mac fails to liveupdate and auto protect is disabled

Posted Mar 09, 2015 10:04 AM

Hi MartinChang,

Just a ping to see if the upgrade fixed the issue?

Many thanks,

Mick

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.1.671 for Mac fails to liveupdate and auto protect is disabled

Posted Mar 12, 2015 11:29 AM

Hi Mick,

Been swamped with work.

Tried to install a newer version but get message that I already have Symantec product installed.

Question - how can I uninstall (remove) the SEP12 from my system without the SEP12 uninstaller?

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.1.671 for Mac fails to liveupdate and auto protect is disabled

Posted Mar 12, 2015 05:56 PM

Hi there,

It's my understanding that the newer build should install over the older 12.1 build without any need to uninstall.

Here's some good information:

Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh Frequently Asked Questions (SEP for Mac FAQ)
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH134203

Q. How do I install SEP for Mac?
    A. Installing the Symantec Endpoint Protection client for Mac covers both managed and unmanaged installations. Push deployment from the SEPM (using the Client Deployment Wizard) is supported as of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5.

Q. I already have a Symantec antivirus / security product on my Mac. Do I have to uninstall it first before installing SEP for Mac?
    A. Legacy SEP 11 installations, managed or unmanaged, do not need to be uninstalled first unless your are also updating your version of OSX (see "What if I wish to perform a major upgrade to Mac OS X with SEP installed?" above). Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh and consumer products Norton AntiVirus and Norton Internet Security for Macintosh must be uninstalled first. Please see the following document for details: Supported upgrade and migration paths to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.x.

Q. What about upgrading SEP for Mac to a newer version? Can I use Upgrade Groups with Package (auto-upgrade)?
    A. Unfortunately, you must export a client package for the new version then install or deploy as you would a new installation; it is not possible to use the Upgrade Groups with Package wizard (auto-upgrade) to migrate Macintosh clients up to a later client version. However, you can install the new version directly over the old without uninstalling first.

Q. There's no Add or Remove programs for Mac. How do I uninstall?
    A. There is an uninstaller included on the SEP installation media; look under SEP_MAC, for SymantecUninstaller.English.tgz. Copy this file to the local Mac client and double-click on it to expand. Inside are two items: Symantec Uninstaller (which is the actual uninstaller), and SymantecUninstaller.pkg (which will actually install the Uninstaller to your hard drive; installing the Uninstaller is not necessary). The Uninstaller is intended for all Symantec products on the Mac, not just SEP. For more information, please see this document: How to uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh.

All the best,

Mick