Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP Clients Hard Drive Space Full - Version 12.1.1000.157

Posted May 31, 2012 10:12 AM

We just switched from McAfee and deployed SEP to all our servers about a month ago and over the weekend all the drives filled up.  There is no apparent remedy other than uninstall the client and well, thats not what we want to do.  It apears to be definition files and they range from 1.2gb f space to 6gb or more.  I need a handle on this fast as it is affecting our email servers now.  The McAfee files never totaled more than 150mb, including logs on the clients.  I understand that SEP is requiring 600mb and that's fine but definitely NOT what we are experiencing here.

How do I limit/contain this? Does anyone have any suggestions?  Im using SEP Manager console, version 12.1.1000.157 to be sure only 3 definition files are kept, 7 day log file retention, etc as suggested in all support documentation I can find. 

Thanks in advance...

• 2.  RE: SEP Clients Hard Drive Space Full - Version 12.1.1000.157

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 31, 2012 10:16 AM

which folder in SEP client is consuming space? is it virus def folder?

• 3.  RE: SEP Clients Hard Drive Space Full - Version 12.1.1000.157

Posted May 31, 2012 10:25 AM

My apologies and thank you for the quick response,

The directory seems to always be:  C:\Users\All Users\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection and the size varies, seemingly by the amount of drive space available.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the client works for about an hour and then its full again.  We only use the AV product, despite the suite bundle.

• 4.  RE: SEP Clients Hard Drive Space Full - Version 12.1.1000.157

Posted May 31, 2012 10:36 AM

Hello,

Please check out the below links,

Low Disk Space issues encountered on systems running either the Symantec Endpoint Protection client or the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153952

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager directories contain many .TMP folders consuming large amounts of disk space

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH98416

Configuring the number of content revisions kept by the Symantec Endpoint Protection client

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103956

• 5.  RE: SEP Clients Hard Drive Space Full - Version 12.1.1000.157

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 31, 2012 10:54 AM

does this helps?

• 6.  RE: SEP Clients Hard Drive Space Full - Version 12.1.1000.157

Posted May 31, 2012 10:56 AM

Yes, these have all been tried, configured, etc.  While TECH153952 gives me back some space, it just fills again.  TECH103956 was configured as suggested pretty much out of the box, the only thing I did was decrease the log file retention days prior to deletion, on the managing server. 

As for TECH 98416, I understand the tmp file issues, but the problem is that I have 250 client servers, 24 are Domain Controller, 14 are Exchange servers, across the globe, etc.  They are high visibility and touching each of them is not feasible.  I suppose I can script these processes and roll it to the servers in a GPO on a scheduled task basis but it seems that this is something the console manager should be handling.  For me this is a new product, new install, so I just figured that I was in error somewhere during the deployment setup.