SEP Definitions wont update automatically
SEP Version: SEP 12.1
We have a server (Windows Server 2012) which has been having issues with updating the AV Definitions.
Ove the past two months we have had to; reinstall SEP, install the Definitions from the SEP site directly and reboot, also run our own full active scan in order to get the most recent definitions installed on the server, we have also ran the SEP Troubleshooting Tool and cleared down previous definitions.
Each time, this only appears to be a temporary fix. It also appears as when we have fixed the issue, the scheduled daily/weekly scan will not run again. I beleive this may be the cause of the issue.
This is not the server which the SEP Management Console is located on and up until the start of June this issue was not present. No other users/servers within the business is experiencing the issue.
Could you please advise, and many thanks for any offerred opinions in order to try and get this issue resolved once and for all.