Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP migration from 11.06 to 12.0

Posted Oct 31, 2011 10:09 AM

Dear Team ,

In my infrastructure we are using Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.06 . We are planing to upgrade to 12.0 .

Challenge with us we are having single SEP server hosted in DC . And there are arround 600 branches for which we had created
    update policy through GUP and 8000 users configured to point single SEP server . We are looking for a solution which help to do
    soft migration from SEP 11 to 12 . And for which we doesnt require any manual intervention . All the policy , Group , settings
    should migrate to SEP 12.0 . Please recommend what are the necessary steps to be taken . Also provide any technical details and
    procedure avilable to do migration from SEP 11.0 to SEP 12.0. 

• 2.  RE: SEP migration from 11.06 to 12.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 31, 2011 10:23 AM

• 3.  RE: SEP migration from 11.06 to 12.0

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Oct 31, 2011 10:53 AM

Hello,

Are you trying to Upgrade to SEP 12.0 OR SEP 12.1??

If incase, you are talking abou the Latest SEP 12.1, then check this article:

Quick Access to Symantec Knowledgebase Articles of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.

The Above Article includes all the Articles which you may need for Migration Purposes.

Hope that helps.

• 4.  RE: SEP migration from 11.06 to 12.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 31, 2011 12:48 PM

Hi,

You will have to take a backup of existing SEPM before upgrade.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102333 

SEP 12.1 can manage SEP 11.x clients however it is recommended to have SEPM and SEP clients on the same version.

Before SEPM upgrade you will have to decide plan of action for clients upgrade because you have around 600 branches. In SEP 12.1 you have good control over client reboot.

For SEPM upgrade reboot is not required but to upgrade clients from SEP 11.x to SEP 12.1 reboot is required.  Your SEPM is residing on DC so I would suggest schedule your upgrade plan at non production hours. (Just for safer side)

Upgrade process is quite simple, you can check following article to have an idea about same

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/sep-11x-sep-121-upgrade-process-graphical-overview

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/few-feature-differences-between-sep-11x-and-sep-121

I hope this will help you !!

• 5.  RE: SEP migration from 11.06 to 12.0

Posted Nov 01, 2011 04:17 AM

Hi Chetan ,

At present i am runing my sepm on VM . Hardware configuration is .

Ram Size : 8.0 Gb

CPU : 2.27 GHZ (Dual Processor)

SQL 2005 installed on extended drive partition . on the same drive we are having 4 GB as a free space .

Please suggest me if there is any upgradation required .

Also can i go ahead with upgardation plan  on the same machine . If yes what are the necessary precaution i need to take .

While going through the upgradation steps document sended by you  . For safer side i have to take the Backup of the database .

After taking database backup . Proceeding further with the upgradation  will it over write the same Database file of the SQL server for 12.1  or else i  need

to create another database instance for SEP 12.1 .

After upgrading SEP to 12.1 is the client version of sep 11.06 is compatible and will it work properly with SEP 12.1 .

Or Else it is recommended to upgrade  client also with 12.1 client version of SEP . If answer is yes .

How can we do the client upgradation what are the procedure required . What are the necessary steps needed to do upgradation.

Can we do the client and server  upgradation which are residing at different location  through centralised  console .

It is manadatory to restart the systems after upgradation of client to 12.1 . Please reply

• 6.  RE: SEP migration from 11.06 to 12.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 01, 2011 05:39 AM

Hi,

Answers to your questions

Question : After taking database backup . Proceeding further with the up-gradation  will it over write the same Database file of the SQL server for 12.1  or else i  need to create another database instance for SEP 12.1

Ans : No need to create another database instance, it will over write the same database

Question : After upgrading SEP to 12.1 is the client version of SEP 11.06 is compatible and will it work properly with SEP 12.1 .

Ans : Yes it is compatible, SEPM 12.1 can manage SEP 11.0.6 clients, however as earlier said it's good practice/recommended to have both SEPM and SEP clients on same version

Question : How can we do the client up-gradation what are the procedure required . What are the necessary steps needed to do up-gradation

Ans : you will have to consider few factors while doing client upgrade, for eg. network bandwidth, client reboot schedule, method of upgrade.

Question : Can we do the client and server  up-gradation which are residing at different location  through centralized  console  

Ans : Yes, but again consider above options

Question : It is mandatory to restart the systems after up-gradation of client to 12.1

Ans : Yes it is mandatory.

Your hardware configuration looks good but disk space can be concern in the future.

You should have more free space on SEPM installed drive and database drive.

4GB free space won't be enough in the future. Increase your disk space before upgrade.

I hope it will help you !!

• 7.  RE: SEP migration from 11.06 to 12.0

Posted Nov 01, 2011 06:40 AM

Hi Chetan ,

SEP 12.1 supports on windows 64 bit edition and do it support device control also on 64 bit edition server on which we installed SEP 12.1 version .

Also difference what is the difference between 12.0 and 12.1 . features .

Please reply .

• 8.  RE: SEP migration from 11.06 to 12.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 01, 2011 06:47 AM

yes SEP 12.1 support Application and device control policy on 64 bit machines.

for more differences check this link

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/few-feature-differences-between-sep-11x-and-sep-121

• 9.  RE: SEP migration from 11.06 to 12.0
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 01, 2011 06:56 AM

Hi,

Difference between SEP 12.0 and SEP 12.1 is listed at following article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/feature-comparison-between-sep-121-sbe-and-ee

Pete has already shared article for difference between SEP 11.x &  SEP 12.1

I hope it will help you !!