Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP MR4 MR2 Issues with SBS 2008 Premium x64

Posted Jun 01, 2009 10:36 AM
    I have a new server running Windows SBS 2008 Premium - it's all x64 code. Originally installed SEP MR4 MP1 last month when the server was placed into production one month ago, upgraded to SEP MR4 MP2 last week.

1. If I install the SEP client on the server, NONE of the workstations can login to the server (have tested with Vista x86 and Win XP x86 workstations). New workstations cannot join the domain with the SEP client installed on the server. It doesn't even matter if the client is disabled on the server. (BTW: we're NOT using the SEP firewall - that profile is disabled.) Only after I uninstall the SEP client from the server does "normal" connectivity return.

2. None of the clients are auto-upgrading to the new MR4 MP2 client. In fact, only a random handful of the workstations are even showing up as clients on the SEP management screen, although all of the SEP clients are continuing to update, etc.

I've installed MR4 MP2 on several SBS 2003 boxes without these issues, but on this SBS 2008 x64 box, I'm still having MAJOR compatibility issues. Any suggestions, or do I just have to wait for MR5?

• 2.  RE: SEP MR4 MR2 Issues with SBS 2008 Premium x64

Posted Jun 01, 2009 12:58 PM
    Sounds like you  installed the full package and disabled the firewall policy.
    With no policy in place it denies everything because there are no rules to allow.
    This would prevent clients from checking in but would not prevent the manager from passing defs.

I would call in!

Eric

• 3.  RE: SEP MR4 MR2 Issues with SBS 2008 Premium x64

Posted Jun 01, 2009 01:43 PM

Yes, but I'm not sure why uninstalling ONLY the SEP client from the server would allow workstations to login again. Seems to be a serious problem with the SEP client running on the server.

• 4.  RE: SEP MR4 MR2 Issues with SBS 2008 Premium x64

Posted Jun 01, 2009 03:32 PM
    To do  a differential diagnosis, please install  a SEP client with only AV/AS portion. Also, make sure that you have created necessary port exceptions in the windows firewall to allow communications from the clients.

Note: When you uninstall the firewall portion from the SEP client, the server will need to be rebooted for the change to take effect.

Cheers,
    Aniket