Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP new defination download caused very slowness on the remote network for SEP verion 11.06

Posted Jan 03, 2012 01:12 PM

We have 19 branch locations.

We noticed the network is very very slow after holidays.

We used the sniffer and found most of branch offices got a big package download from the SEP server.

Most of PCs in the remote location are on 24 x7.

My question is whether the new defination started downloading to the PC when the users log in ?

OR the new def are downloaded into the PC at the time when the server getsthe new def  download?

We are running SEP ver 11.06

Any help will be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: SEP new defination download caused very slowness on the remote network for SEP verion 11.06

Posted Jan 04, 2012 12:22 AM

One thing I would like to know- do you also have more than one PC (say 4,5 or more) in your each 19 branches?

To prevent network conjection, you can setup GUP at branches, if your branches have more than one PC.

To answer your question- AV def can be taken from SEPM (or GUP, if configured) even if user is not there in branch- say in night. PC is required to be turned on. New def download depends on heartbeat interval set.

Hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: SEP new defination download caused very slowness on the remote network for SEP verion 11.06

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 04, 2012 12:35 AM

My question is whether the new defination started downloading to the PC when the users log in ?

when machine starts the heartbeat of client is triggered and tries to reach SEPM, once it gets to know updates from SEPM about the new content, client will start downloading the definiition based on LU configuration.

check these articles

Troubleshooting Content Delivery to the Symantec Endpoint Protection client

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH106034

Troubleshooting the Group Update Provider (GUP) in Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH104539

Best Practices with Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Group Update Providers (GUP)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH93813

Group Update Provider(GUP): Sizing and Scaling Guidelines

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH95353&locale=en_US

• 4.  RE: SEP new defination download caused very slowness on the remote network for SEP verion 11.06

Posted Jan 04, 2012 01:56 AM

For how many days does your SEPM keeps the definition ?

What GUP settings have you kept ?

• 5.  RE: SEP new defination download caused very slowness on the remote network for SEP verion 11.06

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 04, 2012 08:13 AM

Hello,

I agree with ARSharma and pete above. GUP would surely assist you.

Again, You are carrying SEP 11.0.6005.

Not sure if your issue is related to one of the issues which was observed in the 11.0.RU6a, 11.0 RU6 MP1 and 11.0 RU6 MP2 .

Check the Release Notes:

Symantec Endpoint Protection client downloads a full.zip file instead of the delta
    Fix ID: 2179554
    Symptom: If the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager server heavily loaded, a client requesting a delta will not get a reply from the server in a timely manner. The client retries again and obtains a "full.zip" file instead of the delta.
    Solution: Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager now correctly handles subsequent requests from clients and allows the first one to complete before serving another request.

However, I would advise you to Migrate to the Latest Version of 11.0.RU7 MP1.

Hope that helps!!

• 6.  RE: SEP new defination download caused very slowness on the remote network for SEP verion 11.06

Posted Jan 04, 2012 11:42 AM

Thank you for your all replies.

WE don't want to set up GUP for now. We do have 10 PCs each branch.

I found the articles are very helpful

Thanks again!

• 7.  RE: SEP new defination download caused very slowness on the remote network for SEP verion 11.06

Posted Jan 17, 2012 11:49 AM

Mithun :

WE don't have this problem before , it just started two months ago. Especially after holidays.

It is ok during regular week days.

Did symantec change some defination download format  or anything?

Is it download full zise not delta after long weekends?