Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP Outlook add-in causes Outlook 2010 to crash

Posted Sep 18, 2013 04:58 AM

Hi!

I have a problem with the Outlook client add-in on Outlook 2010 clients. The users have to restart their Outlook client in order to send a message. When they are trying to send a message they are asked to store the message and the message are stored to the Drafts folder. After they have restarted the client they can open the message and send it.  If I manually disable the add-in the problem is gone.

We are using version 12.1.3001.165 of the client and the SEPM is the same version.

Is there a way of disabling the add-in via Policies in the SEPM?

• 2.  RE: SEP Outlook add-in causes Outlook 2010 to crash

Posted Sep 18, 2013 05:27 AM

Hi SMlatCST

Thank you. I should have thought about that setting myself :-)

Do you know how long it takes to enforce the policy after the modification and does the clients need to restart in some way?

• 3.  RE: SEP Outlook add-in causes Outlook 2010 to crash

Posted Sep 18, 2013 05:28 AM

I'm afraid that depends on your heartbeat interval.  What do you have set?

• 4.  RE: SEP Outlook add-in causes Outlook 2010 to crash
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 18, 2013 05:28 AM
      |   view attached

You can disable Outlook Protection via the Virus and Spyware Protection Policies.  Just edit the appropriate policy, and uncheck the "Enable Microsoft Outlook Auto-Protect" option.

#EDIT#

Oh yeah, just in case this doesn't sort your problem, the below article tells you how to amend the feature set on your managed clients, so you can remove the Outlook Protection if required:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH90936

• 5.  RE: SEP Outlook add-in causes Outlook 2010 to crash

Posted Sep 18, 2013 09:09 AM

Depending on 32/64bit version of your OS, 32/64bit of your Outlook, Outlook version, Exchange version you could encounter problem in Outlook when Outlook plugin is installed (even if Outlook AutoProtect is disabled via policy). Is not something you'll sure face, but it could happen.

For my experience, in huge environment if you don't have the possibility to test all the possible combinations, I suggest not to install Outlook plugin at all (first installation or upgrade).
    It's better to take your time in order to test different combinations and then, if you're sure, install the plugin.

Security is sure important but, most of the time, email is a service so crictical that you cannot stop or make unstable.
    Best practice:
     - test
     - re-test
     - re-re-test
     - wait a little bit
     - re-test
     - ok, deploy

• 6.  RE: SEP Outlook add-in causes Outlook 2010 to crash

Posted Sep 18, 2013 09:49 AM

SMLatCST

The changes were applied very quickly. Thank you very much for the help.

diabolicus23

It seems like removing i t from the policy helped but thank you for your input.