Video Screencast Help

SEP´s 12.1.4 installation on Windows 8.1 Failed

Created: 26 Jun 2014 | 15 comments
lramirez@cosapidata.com.pe's picture

I need to know where can i found information about the cause.

SEPFailed.JPG

Operating Systems:

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

Rafeeq's picture

what is the version you are trying to push ?for 8.1 it should be 12.1.4 atleast. check if windows firewall/ windows defender is off on win8.1 client? 

The firewall is OFF and there is not Windows Defender

.Brian's picture

Post the SEPM_inst.log and sis_inst.log files located in %temp% directory

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

There is not any registry.

.Brian's picture

Did you follow the steps for preparing computers for remote deployment

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

raju123's picture

Check if help

The version 12.1 Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager's (SEPM) Client Deployment Wizard fails with an error which states it cannot browse the network

Article:TECH196738  |  Created: 2012-09-15  |  Updated: 2014-06-13  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196738

The Symantec Endpoint Protection client will not deploy through the network to a Windows Vista, 7, or Server 2008 system

Article:TECH165133  |  Created: 2011-07-21  |  Updated: 2012-08-07  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH165133

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

If installation fails or roll back it will generate SEP_Inst.log.

If SEP_Inst.log file is not present it means install process was not executed.

It seems package is not copied successfully to execute the install process

I would recommend to go through the following article.

The Symantec Endpoint Protection client will not deploy through the network to a Windows Vista, 7, or Server 2008 system

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH165133 

Problem has occurred to one system only then I would prefer to go with manual install.

Chetan Savade
Sr Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Check this Article:

Steps to prepare computers to install Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.x client

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163112

Prepare Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 computers*, Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 computers**, or Windows 8.1 Update 1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 Update 1***: Before you deploy, perform the following tasks:

• Disable the Windows Firewall, or configure the firewall to allow the required traffic.
    • To allow the correct access for User Access Control, create the registry key LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy as described above.
    • Enable and start the Remote Registry service.
    • Disable or remove Windows Defender.

* = Supported by Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2 (12.1 RU2) or later 
** = Supported by Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4 (12.1 RU4) or later 
*** = Supported by Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4.1 (12.1 RU4 MP1)

Hope that helps!!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

tdrago's picture

hello

same problem with sep version  12.1.400.4126 - not via SEPmanager-deployment but local installation from SEPx64 folder. unmanaged setup chosen.

german version of SEP on german windows 8.1 update 1 64bit with alle windows updates installed.

almost at the end of setup comes "assistant aborted bevor complete installation (acutally in german)" - see screenshot inserted below.

of course, all tasks of the previous post performed before starting installation.

thanks for any help.

regards

thomas

screenshot sep installation failed.JPG

.Brian's picture

Do you have a SEP_INST.log or SIS_INST.log file available to post?

What logs do I need to gather in order to troubleshoot a failed SEP 12.1 client installation?

tdrago's picture

hello brian

i have - see attachment. seems as if installation could not delete a specific reg. key?

i am admin on the lokal machine but not a domain admin. might this cause the problem? didn't have  installation problem with any other software because of missing domain-admin rights.

t.

AttachmentSize
SIS_INST.7z 148.82 KB
.Brian's picture

Manually remove the reg key and try the install again.

Also, have you tried installing the unmanaged version with only AV?

tdrago's picture

did it, installing again and manuallly deleting some symantec folders that couldnt be deleted during installation (acc. to sys_inst.log)

after that:

2014-07-16T13:02:55.686Z ERROR I SIS      [StartService] StartService() failed for service 'SYMTDI' with error 0x0000001F.
2014-07-16T13:02:55.702Z ERROR I SIS         
2014-07-16T13:02:55.702Z ERROR I SIS        Dumping action parameters from the script:
2014-07-16T13:02:55.702Z ERROR I SIS          Name=[SYMTDI]
2014-07-16T13:02:55.702Z ERROR I SIS          WaitStart=[true]
2014-07-16T13:02:55.702Z INFO  I SIS        ExecuteScript() - Successfully set failure event.
2014-07-16T13:02:55.702Z INFO  I SIS    ExecuteScript() returning ACTION_FAILED_WITH_ROLLBACK

service starting failed - not funny :(

and this time I did just the AV, no proacitve, no network...

MK73's picture

any updates on this? having same issues. Cannot install SEP 12.1.4 on Windows 8.1. FW is disabled no luck so far.

tdrago's picture

i contacted sym. support, ran the cleanup tool, installed just the core components of 12.1.4 (NO checkboxes checked) and then changed installation to the components i need. works !