Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SEP SB 12.0 to 12.1 Upgrade: Security Center Reporting Symantec Not Enabled

Posted Aug 04, 2011 09:53 AM

I have just upgraded from Endpoint Small Business 12.0 to 12.1 and receive a notification on client computers that Symantec Endpoint Protection is not enabled (as well as Defender is not enabled).

What is the root cause of this?

When viewing Symantec Endpoint Client on a client workstation, it reports everything is working just fine.

I upgraded via management server push to the clients using the basic package installation.

Affected systems:

Windows 7 Professional 32bit and 64bit (SP1 and non-SP1)

Unaffected systems:

Windows XP Professional 32bit SP3

Any thoughts on this?

• 2.  RE: SEP SB 12.0 to 12.1 Upgrade: Security Center Reporting Symantec Not Enabled

Posted Aug 04, 2011 02:19 PM

Hello

Please try following

1. Reboot the client machine
    2. In Sep manager go to Policies >Firewall policy and check if it is enabled
    3. On client machine check if windows firewall is enabled if yes and on client the component installed are only virus and spyware then uncheck "Enable this policy" from firewall policy in Sep manager

• 3.  RE: SEP SB 12.0 to 12.1 Upgrade: Security Center Reporting Symantec Not Enabled

Posted Aug 04, 2011 02:20 PM

Usually only one firewall should be turned on and is recommended

• 4.  RE: SEP SB 12.0 to 12.1 Upgrade: Security Center Reporting Symantec Not Enabled

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Aug 05, 2011 07:18 AM

Hello,

The Cause of this Issue is due to Symantec Endpoint Protection Client installation failure

Here is the Solution:

1.       Go to Control Panel \ Programs \ Programs and Features
    2.       Click on Symantec Endpoint Protection
    3.       Click Change
    4.       Click Next
    5.       Choose Repair, Click next, click Install

This will repair the Symantec Endpoint Protection client and solve the problem.

• 5.  RE: SEP SB 12.0 to 12.1 Upgrade: Security Center Reporting Symantec Not Enabled

Posted Aug 05, 2011 08:37 AM

I have 70+ systems to do this on - would it make sense to remove Symantec via management server then push it out again but this time with the "Full Protection" instead of "Basic" protection option?

I noticed on the systems I installed Full Protection on yesterday when testing did not report this error.

What are your thoughts to doing this?  Or should I just go to each system and manually run a repair installation?

• 6.  RE: SEP SB 12.0 to 12.1 Upgrade: Security Center Reporting Symantec Not Enabled

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Aug 05, 2011 12:38 PM

Hello,

This Issue is under Investigation.

As a Workaround, I would suggest you to go with the Auto Upgrade Steps and Opt for Full Protection.

This issue seems to be getting Resolved by Installing Outlook Scanner and Notes Scanner.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-1216714971-windows-7-sp1-action-center-problems

What I would also suggest you to Contact Symantec Technical Support and Create a case for the same.

You can create a Case Online as well...

QuickStart Guide - Create and Manage Support Cases in SymWISE

How to update a support case and upload diagnostic files with MySupport

Create and manage your Support case through MySymantec

Create and Manage Support Cases

• 7.  RE: SEP SB 12.0 to 12.1 Upgrade: Security Center Reporting Symantec Not Enabled

Posted Aug 10, 2011 04:05 PM

I have the same issue.

Thankfully I only have a handful of Windows 7 clients.

Also on my Windows 7 machines, I seem to have lost the ability to "Disable Symantec Endpoint Protection" (grayed out) even though I'm in a group that has permissions to disable the FW.

I'm able to disable the FW on an XP machine.

Edit: It seems that I cannot right-click on the Symantec icon and disable the FW, (grayed out) but if I go to network threat options, I'm able to uncheck enable FW.

yaay more bugs.