Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SEP SBE update issue

Created: 17 Dec 2012 • Updated: 18 Dec 2012 | 12 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I updated from SBE 12.0 to 12.1.2015.2015.   After doing so and the updates applying to clients I have some that are showing Virus Definitions not available (even though the client itself says definitions are up to date).  Also it is throwing them into the "Disabled" category in reporting because the firewall is disabled, even though everything else is reported running.

 

Any ideas?

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

pete_4u2002's picture

does enabling the firewall make the system to be working fine in report? 

ABurkholder's picture

The odd thing is I pushed full protection package and Windows is reporting that the firewall is being managed by Symantec Endpoint Protection.  I'm not seeing any notification on these clients that the firewall is turned off, but SEPM is reporting that it is Not Enabled.  On the client I'm not seeing a mechanism to turn the firewall on or off.  It says installed is "Virus and Spyware Protection", "Proactive Threat Protection" and "network Threat Protection".

ABurkholder's picture

Only 2 of the clients are showing Virus Definitions "not available" in SEPM, but the client on both of those machines says "computer is protected, no problems detected".

ABurkholder's picture

I'm not sure if this is anything, but one of the clients coming up as "Disabled" is also the machine SEPM is running from.  But again -- the client on that machine is coming up as everything running fine also.

.Brian's picture

The Disabled piece refers to any component so this is expected. It is misleading. It should read something like "Component Disabled" instead of just disabled as it gives off the wrong impression.

So in your case the firewall is disabled but everything else is enabled and your still seeing disabled on the Home screen unless you open it up and take a deeper look.

For the other piece, it sounds more like a cosmetic issue, especially if clients are showing correctly. Can you force the client to check in, maybe it just hadn't reflected properly in the SEPM after the last heart beat.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

ABurkholder's picture

Thanks for the clarification on the reporting screen.

The client says status is connected.  How do I force the check-in?

.Brian's picture

Right click the SEP icon in the task tray and select "Update Policy"

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

ABurkholder's picture

As a side thought...if I want to enable the firewall how do I do that?  So far every client upgraded says firewall is off in SEPM, but I'm not seeing how to turn it on at the client even though windows claims SEP is managing it.

.Brian's picture

Is the firewall component already installed? If so, just assign the fw policy to the group for the machines that are showing as off.

If not installed, you can add the component thru add/remove programs.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

ABurkholder's picture

I tried updating the policy on one of the clients and SEPM still shows virus defs not available.

.Brian's picture

If the client shows normal, than it sounds like a cosmetic issue. May want to open a support case with Symantec to confirm.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

ABurkholder's picture

Ok, I will open a case to ask about the virus def issue. I found out the firewall issue - the policy was disabled on the SEPM.  Once I did that and gave it some time to send out the change it now shows all those machines as OK and not disabled.  Thank you.

SOLUTION