Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SEP SBS 12.1 - Allow clients to temporarily disable SEP

Created: 20 Jun 2012 • Updated: 22 Jun 2012 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello - after searching through the discussions, I found many posts that help to configure policies for clients to be able to do many things.  These things I am interested in are to allow certain custom group members to temporarily disable SEP on their workstation for certain tasks they perform weekly.  The SEPM would then re-enable SEP on the client after a specific timeframe.  

Another function is to password protect the client from even launching SEP.

These functions, if I read correctly, are located under the SEPM > Group > Policies > Location-independent Policies and Settings.

As I do not have this option (Location-independent Policies & Settings), I am beginning to think this is only for Enterprise editions.  Is that why I do not see it in my SBS edition?  

More importantly; how do I accomplish my above 2 desired functions with SEP SBS 12.1?

Please save yourself the trouble of posting articles from other discussions relating to how to configure these things under "Location-independent Policies and Settings"; as stated - the SBS version does not have this, at least not out-of-the-box, perhaps there is a plugin?

Thanks guys!

John

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

This is not possible with SEP SBE as these Features are not available with SBE version of SEP.

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

SOLUTION
Chetan Savade's picture

Hi Neurotico,

It would be worth to check following article.

Feature comparison between SEP 12.1 Small Business Edition and Enterprise Edition

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/feature-comparison-between-sep-121-sbe-and-ee

Chetan Savade
Sr.Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

Neurotico's picture

Thank you guys; I feared that was the case, but understand the differences.  I believe functions such as these should apply to the SBE as they certainly would come in handy; but upsailing on higher versions is what all companies do and that is why I expected it was such.

Your answers are appreciated!

Cheers!