Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SEP for Small Business right product for Win / Mac Clients and Windows 2008 Server 64-Bit Small Business ?

Posted Dec 01, 2009 10:10 AM
    Hello.

I like to use SEP for Small Business for about 10 Win XP stations an 10 Mac OS X 10.6 stations. Server is a Windows 2008 Server Small Business.
    Is there a client for Mac included? Am I right that the W2008 server can be the client, but not the Manager nor the Manager Console?
    Is there another product that fits better?

Thanks,
    Michael

• 2.  RE: SEP for Small Business right product for Win / Mac Clients and Windows 2008 Server 64-Bit Small Business ?

Posted Dec 01, 2009 11:08 AM
    On windows 2008 , you can have the manager installed as well as the client without any issues

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sepm-11-windows-2008-r2-server

Here is the discussion for SEP on MAC let me know if you have any questions..

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-compatible-mac

• 3.  RE: SEP for Small Business right product for Win / Mac Clients and Windows 2008 Server 64-Bit Small Business ?

Posted Dec 01, 2009 12:09 PM
    Hi Rafeeq.

Thank you for the information. But still some questions.

I understand that I need Symantec AntiVirus for Mac  version 10.2.3 to be compatible with Mac Os X 10.6. Is it released? How can I get it? Can I download it when I have my SEP serial number?
    I understand that I can manage the Mac clients, when I install the "Administration Console for Macintosh th SSC Console".

Thanks,
    michael

• 4.  RE: SEP for Small Business right product for Win / Mac Clients and Windows 2008 Server 64-Bit Small Business ?

Posted Dec 01, 2009 12:33 PM
    Please read this KB -

"Compatibility with Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh 10.x and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard"

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009081911000448

Thomas

• 5.  RE: SEP for Small Business right product for Win / Mac Clients and Windows 2008 Server 64-Bit Small Business ?

Posted Dec 01, 2009 12:50 PM
    Hi.

I already now this document. But I want to manage the Mac client via the System Center Console, which is not possible with Norton AntiVirus for Mac.

Michael

• 6.  RE: SEP for Small Business right product for Win / Mac Clients and Windows 2008 Server 64-Bit Small Business ?

Posted Dec 03, 2009 11:41 AM
    Michael,

Currently Macs cannot be managed with a Windows manager (Symantec System Center [SAV], Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager [SEP 11], Symantec Protection Center [SEP SBE 12]) .  SAV for Mac (10.2.3 is not yet available) has its own management console, which must be run on a Mac server.

Come April of 2010, SEP for Mac will be released.  This will allow management by a Windows server, and I believe this will be concurrent with the next release of SEP 11.  I don't know about the status of SEP Small Business 12.

If you have the correct product entitlement (SAV for Mac or SEP Multi-Tier), you should be able to get the SAV for Mac disk image (.dmg).

Let me know if you have any other questions....
    sandra

• 7.  RE: SEP for Small Business right product for Win / Mac Clients and Windows 2008 Server 64-Bit Small Business ?

Posted Dec 04, 2009 03:14 AM
    Hello Sandra.

Thank you for the information. So I understand that for now I need to buy Norton Antivirus 11 for Mac OS X 10.6 .
    Then in April 2010 I can buy SEP for MAC and then I am able to manage the mac via a windows station?

Right?

So I am going to buy my SEP licenses for Windows now and the Mac SEP licenses in April.

Thanks,
    Michael

• 8.  RE: SEP for Small Business right product for Win / Mac Clients and Windows 2008 Server 64-Bit Small Business ?

Posted Dec 10, 2009 01:07 PM

I apologize that I only now got the notification that you wrote.

What you have up there is not quite right.

- If you have entitlement for SAV for Mac, 10.2.3 is going to be released by the end of the month.  It will be Snow Leopard (10.6) compatible, and you will be able to get that through FileConnect.  It can't be managed by a Windows computer.  If you need something immediately, use MySupport or call support with your enterprise entitlement and we can provide the NAV Corporate to you until 10.2.3 is released.

The SEP for Mac stuff is correct, except again, I do not know if Macs will be able to be managed through SEP for Small Business (the 12.x series).

Hope that clarifies things.

Thanks,
    sandra