Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP on Windows 2003 (64-bit) with Exchange 2007 causes errors

• 1.  SEP on Windows 2003 (64-bit) with Exchange 2007 causes errors

Posted May 28, 2009 01:21 PM
    I just installed Windows 2003 (64-bit) with Exchange 2007.  After migrating over, I installed Symantec Mail Security 6.0.  and then Endpoint Security 11.  After I did that, the system slowed down alot.  I got many errors on the event log:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: EXCDO
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 8206
    Description:  Calendaring agent failed with error code 0x8000ffff while saving appointment.

As mentioned, the system performance degraded severely.  After trolling through the web it was suggested to remove any antivirus software.  So I removed SEP11.  Guess what.  the error went away, and the system performance improved dramatically.  

I assume that SEP was supposed to recognize that the server was an Exchange server, and NOT scan certain areas.  I can only assume that it is scanning some of these areas.

IN ADDITION, I now have Rasman errors

Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7023
    Description: The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:  Remote Access Connection Manager is not a valid Win32 application.

Event Source: RemoteAccess
    Event ID: 20070
    Description: Point to Point Protocol engine was unable to load the C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\rastls.dll module. C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\rastls.dll is not a valid Win32 application.

Event Source: RemoteAccess
    Event ID: 20151
    Description: The Control Protocol EAP in the Point to Point Protocol module C:\WINDOWS\System32\rasppp.dll returned an error while initializing. EAP is not a valid Win32 application.

Event Source: Rasman
    Event ID: 20063
    Description: Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because the Point to Point Protocol failed to initialize. %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

I found an article on this forum (searching "RemoteAccess") and it said to modify the registry keys, but I think my issue has to do with being a 64-bit system.  Any suggestion on this would be great.

So in Summary:
    1) Is SEP configured correctly for installation on an Exchange server
    2) How do I get the Remote access/Rasman working properly on the 64-bit system.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

• 2.  RE: SEP on Windows 2003 (64-bit) with Exchange 2007 causes errors

Posted May 30, 2009 06:17 PM
     To get rid of RASMAN errors wither install it back or geet rasman fix tool or make neccesary changes in the registry as in this document
    When applying a new feature set or updating Symantec Endpoint Protection client to a newer build, the RASMAN registry backups are replaced with the path to SysRasMan.dll instead of rastls.dll

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/0f0ba7054284d12d882573ca000bc305?OpenDocument

Now as far as Exchange is concerned please read this document carefull as it clearly say you might have to set additional exclusions for Exchange 2007

About the automatic exclusion of files and folders for Microsoft Exchange server and Symantec products

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007090220241148